I think my fuel pump is knackered. Car is currently issue free and everything is perfect or at least I thought. I think there is something in the water as my mams fuel pump went there about a week ago + member here. Lucky it's fixed as I'm back driving her car haha.

I went to drive to work today car started fine. Hadn't drove it yesterday. Drove about 1/2 mile. Was really rough so I pulled in at the end of our road before I drove out on the main road. Stopped car conked blocking the road. Started would only run for about 5 to 10 secounds revs hunting between 500-2000rpm. Started every time and conked after about 5 secs every time. I managed to do a 3 point turn revving the life out of it and got it turned for home. I drove it back in the road in 1st gear keeping revs high and it made it home.

How can I check if it's the fuel pump? I can tow it/trailer it to mechanic if needed but it would be a lot of hassle as I live in the sticks. I was thinking about buying a secound hand fuel pump off ebay €40delivered and if this fixes it to buy a new one?

Leading me to my next question what models are the same pumps in as I have access to a few E36 scrappers non of which are M44 unfortunately though.

Car is approaching championship mileage at 187k and covery 90 miles every day for reference.