Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cleaning and polishing stainless steel?

BMWHaus Guru

RE: Cleaning and polishing stainless steel?

Quote Originally Posted by ChrispyFish
    Don't use anything too harsh that will leave small scratches on the metal, down the line the dirt will creep into these scratches and fill them making it near impossible to keep on top of. Brill pad is a no no Gar
    How about the 0000 grade ?

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Venom
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrispyFish
    Don't use anything too harsh that will leave small scratches on the metal, down the line the dirt will creep into these scratches and fill them making it near impossible to keep on top of. Brill pad is a no no Gar
    How about the 0000 grade ?
    Yeah that's what I go with and have a couple of grades of metal polish, also have a heavier wire wool for stubborn bits to get rid of the heaviest bits. Couple of microfibers or even some kitchen cloth will do the job to buff the excess off. No real point in waxing or sealing them, they heat up too much for most waxes and sealants

BMWHaus Guru

So the manifold came up ok with some Autosol and a drill attachment...not mirror but certainly better . I have no laptop at the minute so can't post pics. (hard to take pics of it actually)

The shit is really caked on the decat. Can't seem to shift it and was afraid to get ninja on it's ass in case I did damage. I tried parafin to remove it but I may has well not as it didn't budge anything. Also tried a quick go of 0000 grade steel wool with no effect.

I've read over this thread again and while I was thinking carb cleaner maybe or petrol :surprised::hehe!: I see Curran has suggested to de tar. Halfords special or?

Any help greatly received

BMWHaus Contributor

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/400599224796

This lad and a drill

Before and after on m52 manifolds

Also worth going through the different grades of sand paper if your arsed but usually you'll get good enough results with the above.

These took some sanding