Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E46 question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

E46 question

Have a few little questions, one is driving me up the walls.... My dash is telling me iv a back passenger side light out after i got my car back from getting a scratched back bumper sprayed... Turned out to be a break light... Got new bulbs (more than one just in case). The old one looked burnt out and i replaced it with no problems and wont work :-( then i used one of the back light bilbs just to be sure and that wouldnt work :-/ im not a happy camper as i hate having it showing a fault on the dash....

Second question, break pads could do with a change, sounding grindy the odd time... Best brand to get? Good value for money?

Also due a lump some of tax back from australia in a few weeks and i am going spraying my csl carbon spoiler and leaving the top lip carbon... And suggestions and what elso to do? I was thinking maybe treat her to a day down with larry from clean car for a tidy up and maybe get timing chain and full bmw service even doh ahe has just been serviced and shes almost due a timing change.... Any suggestions or help is very much appreciated

RE: E46 question

Not familiar with E46s, but it's probably the bulb holder that's burnt out?

Brake pads can be got from MicksGarage or in Autofactors across from Supervalu near the Credit Union.

Would recommend getting CleanCar to give it a once over, I'm sure Larry can advise you best on that. I thought the chains were permanent and shouldn't need to be changed? Either way I'd go with a good indy over a main dealer at this stage in the car's life. (I'm not being snobby, I'd do the same with my own car!)

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyMcGrath

Brake pads can be got from MicksGarage or in Autofactors across from Supervalu near the Credit Union.

Would recommend getting CleanCar to give it a once over, I'm sure Larry can advise you best on that. I thought the chains were permanent and shouldn't need to be changed? Either way I'd go with a good indy over a main dealer at this stage in the car's life. (I'm not being snobby, I'd do the same with my own car!)
    i was thinking that it could be the holder....
    i usually wouldnt be able to afford a main dealer so once i have a few quid spare i will definitely get it a full look over from bolands... it has full service history from bolands up until 2008... as its a daily driver too and i do alot of milage so i would definitely be thinking of getting this done...
    im clueless with german cars i have always owned jap... but the fact they can be complicated i want to hold onto it without it giving me trouble

BMWHaus Contributor

Re: RE: E46 question

Quote Originally Posted by -amanda jdm-

i usually wouldnt be able to afford a main dealer so once i have a few quid spare i will definitely get it a full look over from bolands... it has full service history from bolands up until 2008... as its a daily driver too and i do alot of milage so i would definitely be thinking of getting this done...
    im clueless with german cars i have always owned jap... but the fact they can be complicated i want to hold onto it without it giving me trouble
    I'd agree with paddy, I'd even go as far as saying that a good Indy will give the car a more thorough inspection than a main dealer will and they'll do it a lot cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinF

I'd agree with paddy, I'd even go as far as saying that a good Indy will give the car a more thorough inspection than a main dealer will and they'll do it a lot cheaper.
    hmmm i may do that so

I seriously wouldn't waste the money with Bolands, honestly. I get the odd bits and bobs from them but would never have them work on the car despite the car having its full history with them until I bought it. Plenty of reputable indies down this way

I seriously wouldn't waste the money with Bolands, honestly. I get the odd bits and bobs from them but would never have them work on the car despite the car having its full history with them until I bought it. Plenty of reputable indies down this way
    have ye got any names and number? im new to the german world and dont want to do wrong by the car, i dont want to send it to just anyone

have ye got any names and number? im new to the german world and dont want to do wrong by the car, i dont want to send it to just anyone
    MED5 on here comes recommended by a lot of the local lads

BMWHaus Guru

@[-amanda jdm-]

Car doesnt'nt need a "timing chain service".

Timing chains are maintenance free so unless theres a problem with it, they are left alone.

Re: E46 question

Get them to check for slack in the chain anyways if they have the head off the guide rails are worth checking too