Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BBS Rc 090 Rebuild

BMWHaus Contributor

BBS Rc 090 Rebuild

so did a a deal on these style 5 wheels, I will run these on the e36 for the summer, i know they are a popular wheel but i always had a thing for them and they really look good on e36's plus you can customise them so much, they are fantastic condition already but i hate black rims, but the lips don't have one single mark on them, after getting a few quotes to strip them and powder coat the centres i decided i will do mist of the work myself

so i got a my hands on a 10m 12 point socket and began to loosen the bolts, it was not difficult to be honest

after i had them all loose i used the ratchet and one nut and slightly screwed the nut back on and tapped each one of them out, a bit time consuming but to minimise any damage it was the best way

then i got a piece of wood and lay it across the face and after a few tries the face just popped out, i was worried this would take ages but luckily nothing seized up over time so happy days

so after getting the lips free from the bolts it was a good opportunity to give the lips another polish, i had a toll called the "ball buster that i had gotten from clean car before to do exhaust tips etc, it was perfect size for the lips,

also used a great metal polish called britemax which is top quality, i just the lip a few passes and it it really came up like a mirror

the plan with these is to rebuild using gold bolts ( the proper m7x30 splined ones) silver faces and the genuine red and gold 3d centre badges but they will be inserted into a BBS ~RS polished metal hex cap so should look good on the e36

by the way something that really inspired me was a video on youtube of a hellrot e36 that i think looks amazing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yO23dor5lTI

BMWHaus Contributor

RE: BBS Rc 090 Rebuild

M7 could be difficult to get unless youre using your old bolts. I have a thing for these wheels to, they are class.

BMWHaus Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Dod
    M7 could be difficult to get unless youre using your old bolts. I have a thing for these wheels to, they are class.
    have them sourced already but not cheap

BMWHaus Guru

You have a good taste in wheels man

BMWHaus Contributor

Very good tread. Have a set myself and am saving up for the refurb. Looking forward to seeing them progress and on the car.
    Nice video too you cant beat the gold centre and polished lip.

BMWHaus Contributor

Question RE: BBS Rc 090 Rebuild

small update on this

I managed to undo ll the nuts and seperate the faces from the rim, It was not too difficult as i had expected.

Once the faces were off i gave the lips a really good polish wit the metal polish and drill , really happy with them as they are like a mirror now !

the faces are ready to go for powder-coating now but the only issue i have if someone can help is how do i describe that i want a hyper silver finish n them, ? is there a code on these colours or what way does it work?

also i spent a good hour washing the inside of the rim removing any dirt and tar and removing wheel weight s but i cannot remove the wheel weight residue, i have tried AG tar remover and sticky residue remover but it aint working, anyone any tips?

some of the hardware for the rebuild is on its way already minus the bolts as im still pricing them

im using a modified hex cap which is polished metal and not plastic and it sits over the plastic hex cover on the main cap, i think it s looks a lot better and the polished metals should look well together.

here is a picture to give an idea of what i mean

http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=35513

more updates soon

BMWHaus Contributor

Very nice, very retro F1 looking. What polish have you used on the lip?

BMWHaus Contributor

they were in very good condition already but i used a product called britemax metal polish, its great stuff and also there another polsih that goes with it to final polish and seal any metal hou use it on.

BMWHaus Guru

Use a heat gun on the glue residue to get it soft and make it easier to remove, the AG tar and glue remover isn't the strongest but will be ok to remove the small bits that are left.

BMWHaus Contributor

need some advice
    i got the centres powder coated and im very pissed off because its not the shade of colour im looking for, its mainly my fault because i chose the colour and on the samples it looked OK but on the wheel its too white looking, basically im looking for a nice shade of silver metallic that contrasts well with a polished lip

i

i have been googling for hours to try and get a "RAL" number of specific colour name for the silver i want so i can re do them an be happy with them

what im looking for
    as in the rims in this link

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BBS-RS-RC060-061-Style5-8-9x18-Wheels-Rims-Staggered-BMW-E31-E38-E46-E36-M3-M5-/221374566300?pt=UK_CarParts_Acc_Wheels_tyres_Trims _Car_Rims_ET&hash=item338af3cf9c

took a quick picture of my wheel face against the lip to give an idea of what i have