Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I stay or should I go

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Should I stay or should I go

I'm currently in an 07 520d Msport, with 190,000 Klms on the clock, circa 119,000 miles, I've had the car 2 years now and am doing close to 1,000klms a week, mainly motorway, the car knows it's way from Monasterevin to Dublin by itself now!

Question is, how long more will I get out of the car at this rate? I'd like the car to be worth something when I sell it on, also I could only come up a year or two, havnt got the budget to go further with getting married next year, but the 08 LCI on timing chain issues have me concerned, and as mentioned in another post 525 - 535d MSports are rare enough in 08-10

I'd like a low enough mileage example as I'll be doing current mileage for a few years yet.

What do ya reckon, just keep going in the car I have & like with routine maintenance needed or sell while I can and change to a not so reliable model?

I'd consider buying 08-09 520f and do remedial timing chain repair subject to cost

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BMWHaus Guru

RE: Should I stay or should I go

I'd say if your car is driving well, just keep it and maintain it until you save up/don't need to do huge mileage anymore, and then get something nice and low mileage

BMWHaus Contributor

Save your money and keep the car. If it's driving well then keep it maintained. The cost of going up a couple of years is likely more than what you can save while holding onto the car and selling it for less than it's currently worth.

BMWHaus Contributor

Better the devil you know mate :wink:

BMWHaus Guru

Keep driving, we've a customer in a 07 M47 520d coming up to 400000kms and running perfect!

BMWHaus Guru

Just keep it, seem to be serving you well so far

BMWHaus Contributor

Keep it well serviced and your good. A family member has one with 300k on it, apart from a few bushings and tyres its never needed anything.

BMWHaus Contributor

If the car is reliable and you still like it I would recommend you keep it, at the rate of mileage and it to continue for a few years to come, if you change no you will be in the same situation in 2-3 years again. If you begin to begin to fall out of love with it, change it after the wedding and call it a gift to yourself

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Re: Should I stay or should I go

Im going to throw a curveball in here just to mix it up

At the moment your cars at average mileage and its a highly sought after 2.0 diesel sport everyone wants them it will sell fast and at fairly good money id imagine

BUT!! If you put another 100k on it imagine how hard it will be to sell a car with 300kms on the clock in this country the majority of the population will be scared shitless to touch it and you will have to price it rock bottom imo (im not shy of high mileage cars but majority are)

Now heres my suggestion whats the 520d worth rough guess I dont know but say its worth 12k (I really have no idea)

Lets say you sold yours for 12k and bought this e60 525d sport for a little over 7k that leaves you with 5k cash and an equally good car you get to put another 100k on it and it depreciates a lot less as its only going to be on around 120k miles come sale time
    Attached Images Attached Images

Should I stay or should I go

That's a hell of an idea Gar, imaging me telling her I'd got 5K out of thin air that she can spend on a flame thrower or some sh1te for the wedding ( or don't tell her and spend it on wheels!)

Seriously though that is worth considering, knowing my luck I'd sell mine and that would be gone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk