Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BMW N40-N42-N45-N46 petrol engine timing chain fix

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Site Sponsor

BMW N40-N42-N45-N46 petrol engine timing chain fix

Some of BMW owners already knows these problems with timing chains ,diesel and petrol ones .These are very common as well on petrol 4 cylinder N4? engines . Found on 116i,118i,129i, 316i,318i,320i .Thes engines are very common on oil leaks all around engine. rocker cover gaskets ,vanos solenoid O rings , oil filter and oil cooler housing gaskets, vacuum pump O ring , spark plug guide O rings ,crank shaft seal and few more .
    Its very good to do all this work in one go .
    In full set included - timing chain,lower sprocket ,guides ,chain tensioner ,rocker cover gaskets set ,crankshaft front seal and other before mentioned gaskets and O rings .
    In our experience the problem starts from around 70k mls ,cold engine rattling ,poor throttle response ,poor idling ,high mpg ,lack of engine power .
    Fix it asap,before it broke and damage the engine :wink:

Happy motoring and few shots of this work !
    Attached Images Attached Images

BMWHaus Site Sponsor

RE: BMW N40-N42-N45-N46 petrol engine timing chain fix

and few more
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hey, do the oilpan have to come off? How do you get the old chain off the sprocket in the bottom?

BMWHaus Site Sponsor

no dont need to remove sump,take of crankshaft pulley with insert and sprocket will stay with chain

Hi mate what all part numbers do ya need
    To do this

Go to realoem.com and type in your car then select engine you will see a full diagram of the timing chain setup with all part numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Valdelisbmw
    Some of BMW owners already knows these problems with timing chains ,diesel and petrol ones .These are very common as well on petrol 4 cylinder N4? engines . Found on 116i,118i,129i, 316i,318i,320i .Thes engines are very common on oil leaks all around engine. rocker cover gaskets ,vanos solenoid O rings , oil filter and oil cooler housing gaskets, vacuum pump O ring , spark plug guide O rings ,crank shaft seal and few more .
    Its very good to do all this work in one go .
    In full set included - timing chain,lower sprocket ,guides ,chain tensioner ,rocker cover gaskets set ,crankshaft front seal and other before mentioned gaskets and O rings .
    In our experience the problem starts from around 70k mls ,cold engine rattling ,poor throttle response ,poor idling ,high mpg ,lack of engine power .
    Fix it asap,before it broke and damage the engine :wink:

Happy motoring and few shots of this work !
    o you do the repair or is this only for parts? Im having problems with the timing chain in my 2004 316i and it will need to have the chain replaced soon
    1990 BMW 318iS (e30) - Laser Blue
    2003 BMW M3 (e46) - Titan Silver

BMWHaus Site Sponsor

its thread about how we fix them .

Hi Valdelisbmw

I'm in the process of changing the timing chain on a n46 engine and trying to get my head around the balance shafts. You mentioned above the the sump does not have to come off to replace the timing chain is this because if you are careful taking the crankshaft guide off the cog that drives the oil pump/balance shafts stays in the same place so that when you lower the cog with the new timing chain on you can just slide the guide back into place and replace the bolt. Sorry if this is a simplistic view of things but I cannot really visualize how it all looks not having striped one down before.

Thanks

Jon

BMWHaus Site Sponsor

we dont change oil pump chain or slider ,just dont needed .