I've recently ticked over 5 years of ownership of my 2006 E90 320d M Sport (155k km's on clock) and for a long time now I've thought about what I could change the car for and I always draw a blank. I love my car and I've never had any major issues with it thankfully. It really has everything that I could want. In fact, I don't want to change my car, I want to improve it (it's happening at a snail's pace so far!).

Aaaanyway. My question goes something like this;

You often read about owners who've managed to keep their car going after ridiculous hundreds of thousands km's and for the most part the car looks tip top. Do you think that making a car last that long, assuming it's a reputable marque, is down to luck or just hard work and dedicated servicing/attention paying off? Perhaps a mixture of both?

It seems to me that for the most part it tends be Jap and German made cars that last the test of time. It wouldn't be unusual to see a 16-17 year old Nissan Micra, BMW, or Merc still flying around. Having said that, you will also see old Fiesta's and Mondeo's knocking about but these always look a bit worse for wear.

I service the car regularly and I'm always open to suggestions that guys make on here in terms of best practice re different service intervals etc. I know that some people will consider this a tad boring/unadventurous but I really do intend on keeping my car in the family for as long as I can make it last.

That's fairly long winded now reading back over it but I suppose you get my drift! I'm just interested in what other peoples thoughts are on this?

Cheers