Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battery's - where's best to buy ??

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Battery's - where's best to buy ??

So Iam gonna buy a new battery for the M5 as I've noticed the battery currently in the car looks like a cheap piece of crap

Having done a load of looking about no one seems to have the proper spec for the battery

Main dealer want 303e plus vat for the standard one which as far as I know is made by Exide

There seems to be a S5 series battery from Bosch that's the dogs bits for them

Anyone in the higher engine 5s or even 3s gotten. A battery replaced recently and how much and where ?

The battery in her is on 720cold and Iam told it should have a 900 in her ...

BMWHaus Contributor

RE: Battery's - where's best to buy ??

Quote Originally Posted by DamienOS
    So Iam gonna buy a new battery for the M5 as I've noticed the battery currently in the car looks like a cheap piece of crap

Having done a load of looking about no one seems to have the proper spec for the battery

Main dealer want 303e plus vat for the standard one which as far as I know is made by Exide

There seems to be a S5 series battery from Bosch that's the dogs bits for them

Anyone in the higher engine 5s or even 3s gotten. A battery replaced recently and how much and where ?

The battery in her is on 720cold and Iam told it should have a 900 in her ...
    I presume you are talking e39?
    I had a 720 in the 540i before, car was struggling a bit to start. So I can imagine a M5.
    Halfords does the excellent Yuasa battery brand for about 115 euros with the Axa card discount or so.
    900amps/100ah
    Have it in the 540i, works very well and 5 years warranty.

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_73 4844
    _langId_-1_categoryId_212578

Quote Originally Posted by GERMANIKS

I presume you are talking e39?
    E60

BMWHaus Guru

Damo, I got a Bosch S5 for the m3 from Halfords last year that was about €120 iirc

BMWHaus Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by JohnH
    Damo, I got a Bosch S5 for the m3 from Halfords last year that was about €120 iirc
    Halfords stopped stocking the Bosch ones in favour of the chinese brand. I think i bought the last S5 they had.

BMWHaus Contributor

My Indy replaced mine before Christmas for €120 coded :wink:

Exact same as what came out of the car except for the BMW stamp :huh:

BMWHaus Guru

Damo, you need a Bosch S6 AGM, make sure it's an AGM one and make sure you get it coded in.

Afaik the AGM one is around €200

Cheers for the replies guys ,

Should have said earlier its for a E60 M5 .... only reason i mentioned about the bigger engine 5s etc is i know somtimes the bigger spec cars saometimes get bigger batterys to run all the gadgets ( maybe iam wrong )

Yea ive become very aware of the "AGM" type that seems to be the thing to put back in the car

does anyone have the ppart number off a S6 AGM Bosch ??

i have a contact in Bosch ireland so if i could get the part number iam pretty sure i could source it through thive had Yuassa in motorbikes before but maybe iam a brand slut but id tend to stick to Exide or Bosch

the car is about to go in for a full service so can get it coded during that pit stop

BMWHaus Guru

Afaik this is the one ya need but just check that it's an AGM type

BMWHaus Contributor

No need for an agm, the car might not even coded to take agm batteries. Registering the battery will not change that
    From the top of my head the car can't even be coded for 95ah agm.
    E60 m5 should be in 100-110ah, ideally 110. Do not compromise on the battery quality. I use to sell the Varta 110 for m5/535d etc but I am out of stock.

720amps you had before is a joke.