Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E36 Tacho and fogs problem

BMWHaus Guru

E36 Tacho and fogs problem

Hoping someone will have an idea of the best place to start looking for a fix for this -

Fuel light is constantly on, even with fuel in the car. Speedo isn't working, but rev counter is. Econometer isn't working either.The fogs won't work, and the dash light to show they're turned on isn't coming on.

Can't say when this began - had only been moving the car around a bit so never paid attention to the speedo or tried to stick the fogs on.

Have run the instrument cluster test and they're all working as they should. All fuses are fine.

Any ideas?

RE: E36 Tacho and fogs problem

For the fuel gauge problem, It might be a wire lose on the fuel pump under the back seat.

Happened mine, Only takes a few mins to check.

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by BMW
    For the fuel gauge problem, It might be a wire lose on the fuel pump under the back seat.

Happened mine, Only takes a few mins to check.
    Will give it a look - am figuring on everthing being related though.

BMWHaus Contributor

Try the plugs in the back of the clocks, plugging them out and in again solves some problems, you can have a loan of a set of clocks from me to try if you like, rule out another thing

BMWHaus Contributor

E36 Tacho and fogs problem

I'm wondering if the speed sensor on the diff is related to the speedo part of it because my acted up and started jumping randomly but a new diff sensor cured it, they are cheap enough to replace

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by DaveG
    Try the plugs in the back of the clocks, plugging them out and in again solves some problems, you can have a loan of a set of clocks from me to try if you like, rule out another thing
    Thanks Dave - will take you up on that offer. Tried unplugging the connections and putting them back but no joy.

It is potentially several different problems - had the same on the E30 when I got it back and thought a load of different issues were all connected when they weren't.

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by claudio
    I'm wondering if the speed sensor on the diff is related to the speedo part of it because my acted up and started jumping randomly but a new diff sensor cured it, they are cheap enough to replace
    Will see if I can get one of the issues fixed on its own first. Have a new diff to go on it along with some other work anyway - think there might be a spare sensor sitting there I can use.

BMWHaus Guru

Ken, just following your build thread and noticed you replaced the bootlid..i wonder did any of the wires get damaged? That loom can cause a no. of electrical issues..

BMWHaus Guru

Shouldn't have - but its a possibility. Fuel light was on before the lid was replaced though.

BMWHaus Guru

Bit of a bump as this is well and truly wrecking my head. Have replaced the fog light relay, every single fuse, and tried a new set of clocks. Also stripped down the rear bootlid to check for dodgy wiring, and nothing.

Anyone else have any suggestion?