Thread: Steel Seal screws up my thermostat?

Steel Seal screws up my thermostat?

Hi all, I spotted a lot of oil on engine body at xmas and even though my mechanic said it was hard to tell what it might be I took the initiative (thought I was doing a good thing:huh and added steel seal. A week ago I noticed no heat in car so checked under the bonnet, white spray marks and water level really low. I've been topping it up and watching levels. A mate says the stuff might have screwed up my thermostat, which was only replaced 3 months ago. What y'all reckon?:crying:

BMWHaus Contributor

RE: Steel Seal screws up my thermostat?

Don't know anything about that stuff,but sounds like you have a few other little problems though.
    If you have an m54 engine full coolant overhaul is required if one of the components fail the rest are not far behind.
    Oil leaking could be the, oilfilter housing ,valve cover gasket, or ccv related.
    Water more than likely is the rad or the expansion bottle split, or any of the pipes big and small in the system .
    Possible the reason you have no heat is coolant level gone too low and you have an airlock in the cabin heater portion of the coolant system.
    Your thermostat may well be stuffed but given the fact you are loosing coolant and oil. Identify the cause these issues first then see what your left with.
    [hr]

BMWHaus Guru

Steel Seal screws up my thermostat?

Where was the oil, front of timing chain cover?

Leaking thermostat gasket combined with a slight weep from either the rocker cover or timing chain gasket from experience will make a giant ugly oily mess ( mostly on your a/c pump)