Thread: Rear parcel shelf.

BMWHaus Guru

Rear parcel shelf.

So I'm looking to remove the parcel shelf from my e36 coupe. Searched my bentley manual and can't find anything about removing it! Anyone know how it's done? Got links to videos or a DIY?

Also I want to dye it black, so I'll be looking for a good fabric dye which matches the black head lining and carpet! Anyone know of a good matching dye? And where can I get it!

Thanks!

Sent from my WT19i using Tapatalk 2

BMWHaus Contributor

RE: Rear parcel shelf.

Put down back seat
    Remove 4 plastic clips
    Remove side pillar
    If you have headrest, lift the front of the shelf up and push back headrest pins. I find this much easier.
    Remove shelf.

Halfords do spray paint.

BMWHaus Guru

Re: Rear parcel shelf.

Don't have rear headrests so I'll have to prize it up at the front with some kind of lever?

Is there some treatment to do before using spray paint? It's pretty grubby I presume something like sugar soap with warm water let it dry thoroughly then several coats of spray?

BMWHaus Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy
    Don't have rear headrests so I'll have to prize it up at the front with some kind of lever?

Is there some treatment to do before using spray paint? It's pretty grubby I presume something like sugar soap with warm water let it dry thoroughly then several coats of spray?

When you pull down the seat it just 4 clip and remove the speaker covers that might help.

I'd just hover it clean. Water I don't know to be honest.
    Here is the one Noel done all by himself

http://www.bmwhaus.ie/forum/showthread.php?tid=693

BMWHaus Guru

Rear parcel shelf.

Buy some lint rollers in the 2€ shop. It's very easy to mark it tbh and the paint won't flatter if ya leave any lines. Using a needle nose pliers with a u or a curved tip is the job for them plastic clips

Sent forward in time from my Nokia 3210

BMWHaus Guru

Anyone used carpet dye on it before? I have a headliner I'd like to do as well as the parcel shelf and would like them to match if possible?

BMWHaus Guru

I ordered 4 150ml cans of black Duplicolor fabric spray on EBAY last night, I'm hoping it's enough for 2 coats! It says a 150ml can covers 0.4m squared, I'll see how I get on! [Nervous]

BMWHaus Contributor

Re: Rear parcel shelf.

I used Autoglym aerosol dye and 1 tin did an e30 parcel shelf twice and worked a treat. Its only a tenner for the tin as well.

Sent from my Vodafone 858 using Tapatalk 2

BMWHaus Contributor

I did my roof liner and pillar covers with a few cans of aerosol, only thing that I'd say is don't use cheap aerosol and give it a few days to cure away from the car

Sent from my magical talkie device