Thread: Amplifier Recommendations

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Guru

Amplifier Recommendations

I just bought a sub enclosure for the e36 along with a JBl 8' subwoofer

This is the subwoofer:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/JBL-GTO-804D-8-SUBWOOFER/dp/B000FHAXPA

Recommend me a good quality but reasonable amp to match.

This is the enclosure I got, it is specifically designed to fit in the space behind the rear seat in the e36 convertible.

I only want a bit of bass that the car is lacking at the minute. There is a Pioneer head unit, 40W x 4 in situ at the minute. I have Poineer speakers all round connected directly to the head unit, so the amp is only required to power the subwoofer.

Any ideas appropriated.
    Current Garage:
    e36 Convertible, e63 M6,F82 M4, R53 Cooper S, F57 JCW, R53 JCW GP1, Porsche Panamera, Porsche 991 C4S

BMWHaus Guru

RE: Amplifier Recommendations

Are you going to just use an amp that taps into one of the existing feeds with its on crossover or are you going to run all the speakers from the amp?

Mike in Germaniks would be worth a PM, the Mosconi amps that he supplies are AB class amps.

BMWHaus Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Dave
    Are you going to just use an amp that taps into one of the existing feeds with its on crossover or are you going to run all the speakers from the amp?

Mike in Germaniks would be worth a PM, the Mosconi amps that he supplies are AB class amps.
    Thank you Dave
    A class AB amp from Mosconi (expensive) in my opinion would be overkill for what Mark wants in his car.
    A class D with a limited bandwidth (say 200Hz) would be better value and easier to fit due to its compact size
    This JBL amp from eBay should do nicely given the price.

BMWHaus Contributor

Re: Amplifier Recommendations

The box designed for the car is a deadly idea, wasn't aware one could be got. In regards to your question a 200 watt 2 channel amp would be more than sufficient for the sub, but considering you have uprated all the speakers it would really be worth while getting a 4 channel amp to run the speakers as well as the sub, even with just the speakers running them with an external amplifier will make a huge difference to audio quality, I currently have a vibe 4 channel 400w amp running front alpines 2 6x9 speakers in rear and a jbl 12" sub and it is more than enough imo, previously ran sub on separate amp and could not detect any difference not just thump thump dance

BMWHaus Guru

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JBL-GT5-A3001E-MONO-1-channel-car-BASS-amp-amplifier-/250880434039?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item3a69 a39f77

Perfect mono amp 175w rms @ 4ohms for €100 and matches sub.

Wasting yer money buying anything more. A headunit is more than capable of driving your spearkers as you most likely know already.

BMWHaus Guru

Well the rain is starting to come so then I lose interest in the car! Well not quire, I went with a JBL mono channel 200 W amp in the end. I've been spoilt with the e63 sound system so just wanted to be able to get a small bit of bass & be able to turn down the bass output from the mid range speakers in the car. So hopefully I'll be able to listen to the radio a little louder now without distortion when I've the roof down.
    Current Garage:
    e36 Convertible, e63 M6,F82 M4, R53 Cooper S, F57 JCW, R53 JCW GP1, Porsche Panamera, Porsche 991 C4S

Sorry for the hijack but I see you (RR) have an aftermarket head unit.

Is there any way of improving a standard e36 sound system while keeping the original head (cassette) unit?

RG (aka Garvan)

Did you get the sub box from "car audio security"? I don't see it listed on their website.

RG

Re: Amplifier Recommendations

Cd43 will give you an improvement while keeping an original look garvan
    Attached Images Attached Images

I actually have one but it's like Sesame Street...one of these kids is doing his own thing.... It wouldn't store stations etc...