Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: e9 CSL enhancement detail

BMWHaus Guru

e9 CSL enhancement detail

[align=center][/align]

Have always wanted to do this car since I seen it about 18 months ago. Luckily I got the chance over the past couple fo weeks to work away at it

Agreed with the owner the best course of action for the car, its going to be used as a daily and going to be resprayed next year or so so we agreed on a detail that would freshen up the car for the Summer but nothing too severe in terms of correction.

*3 stage machine polish
    *Full interior
    *light engine bay
    *general tidy of other areas

It has been out of daily use for a while now and it was fairly clean to start off with. Just little bit of cleaning to do from the drive over.

Wheel cleaner (acid free) applied with a foaming sprayer head

Agitated

Rinsed

All 4 wheels done the same way, car washed using 2 bucket method and shuts cleaned while snow foam was dwelling. No tar present to remove so onto claying and back inside for some before shots....

Poor finishing from the bodyshop, this was dealt with

Signs of previous poor machining..

More signs of poor polishing...Strike through...Not good and was not the only spot on the car, at least 5, some being 4-6" long :crying:

So took so readings all over before polishing, varied a slight bit..

Bonnet was below 100 in places so had to be extra careful here, the bootlid ranged from 120's to 1400's :surprised:

Bootlid, this is after the 3 stages of polishing, it looked great compared to the hazy finish before this but I wasn't happy so went over it again with another 4 stages of polishing 3 days later as it just kept bugging me (and still is )

50/50, this shows more of the difference in the paint depth, those deepers marks still didn't budge after another 4 stages...

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

50/50 on a front wing prior to refining

side

Before:

After: needs a good refining but deep marks still present..

And the natural 50/50 this left

Before:

After:

More poor finishing from the bodyshop sorted out...

Before:

After:

Before:

After, again, really deep marks just didn't want to budge

50/50 between doors

Boot needed a bit of cleaning

All metal polished, hard to capture the difference and sometimes hard to even see in person

Rear seats removed to get a better clean and wet vac and also tidy in behind...

Bit of hidden cleaning

Front passenger seat removed, driver seat didn't wat to come out to play! all areas that could be removed, were and all other were wet vac and cleaning in position.

Not much to clean after a hover it looked decent already but good ol George the wet vac done a good bit of removing!!

Metal parts at the door sills removed

[IMG]
    http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j329/deailingshed/e9%20CSL/DSC_0077_zps408fe396.jpg[/IMG]

Polished up all by hand

And onto the afters, very lucky to get a break in the wind and rain but was very dull. Still car looks great outside, such a striking colour. Only editing done to these was the watermark, the reg removal and the sky

Messed with this one thou

BMWHaus Guru

Was looking forward to seeing these images, very impressive work Chris and great to see this car getting a thorough clean and pamper. It looks even more striking now and I am sure the new owner will be delighted. Such a rare car and deserves the best.

Regards,

Andy

BMWHaus Guru

RE: e9 CSL enhancement detail

Quote Originally Posted by Andy
    Was looking forward to seeing these images, very impressive work Chris and great to see this car getting a thorough clean and pamper. It looks even more striking now and I am sure the new owner will be delighted. Such a rare car and deserves the best.
    Cheers Andy, was nice to work on something so rare and release some new life into it.

Just a pity the weather was so bad, didn't get as many pics of the process as I would have liked, was Baltic in the shed so just cracked on!

Have one more thread to go up this week of a little GTii when the weather improves for the afters

BMWHaus Guru

Smashing pics Chris and top notch work. It looks like you really transformed it.

I'm looking forward to seeing the next thread too ;-)

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by JohnH
    Smashing pics Chris and top notch work. It looks like you really transformed it.

Cheers John. Next thread is smaller as half the pics went on the missing list but will still show a transformation, car looks unreal even under a covering of dust

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ChrispyFish
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH

Cheers John. Next thread is smaller as half the pics went on the missing list but will still show a transformation, car looks unreal even under a covering of dust
    Not a problem, I can supply some shots of the day (night) it was delivered by the "M3 expert"

Not wanting to take this thread o/t but I have refurbed throttle bodies on the way, a replacement rocker cover and the gt strutbrace to go on which will really finish it off

Edit: my phone auto corrected shots to shits! Ha!

BMWHaus Contributor

My favourite PIC as it shows off the stunning attention to detail of not only your hard work but also of the pin stripes themselves

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

BMWHaus Contributor

Nice work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BMWHaus Guru

My old car is looking great Chris, fantastic job.

Don't make it too nice or I will regret selling it :wink:

Administrator

Good work Chris....exactly what it needed until the restoration!!! Not too much, but enough to make it very presentable!