Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Car losing time

BMWHaus Contributor

RE: Car losing time

Quote Originally Posted by nsheridan
    Quote Originally Posted by GERMANIKS
    Drive your car otherwise if you are lucky to have a garage use a small power supply if it stays for weeks parked up.
    Or lend me the car for a few weeks I will get the battery charged up free of charge :-)
    You're truly a selfless and generous person. But no.
    Your loss :-)

BMWHaus Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by rebel.ranter
    Have you run an energy diagnosis on the battery through DIS? I just changed my battery over the weekend as it was starting to,give out a lot more frequently. I was trickle charging it when I got home at the weekend every now & again but the short journeys to work was killing it.
    If you want to do the energy diagnosis just give me a shout, I can be found on Dublin's south side sometimes!

http://www.bmwhaus.ie/forum/showthread.php?tid=142&pid=30872#pid30872
    No point the car is not being driven. Not much to do here. Battery is not being charged.
    Bmw created this test to assess driving behavior mainly to replace or not batteries under warranty.

BMWHaus Contributor

Car losing time

Drive your car otherwise if you are lucky to have a garage use a small power supply if it stays for weeks parked up.
    Or lend me the car for a few weeks I will get the battery charged up free of charge :-)
    You're truly a selfless and generous person. But no.
    Your loss :-)
    I think you'll find it's your loss

BMWHaus Guru

No point the car is not being driven. Not much to do here. Battery is not being charged.
    Bmw created this test to assess driving behavior mainly to replace or not batteries under warranty.
    I suppose it would show that the battery was low on charge consistently >50% & at least explain why clock was losing time. I agree though it would be advisable to invest in a trickle charger. I have two of these:

One for the e36 in storage & one for topping up the 6 Series every now & again. BMW will prattle on about the "unfavourable driving profile" alright. Design few in car electric system more like!
    Current Garage:
    e36 Convertible, e63 M6,F82 M4, R53 Cooper S, F57 JCW, R53 JCW GP1, Porsche Panamera, Porsche 991 C4S

BMWHaus Contributor

Have you run an energy diagnosis on the battery through DIS? I just changed my battery over the weekend as it was starting to,give out a lot more frequently. I was trickle charging it when I got home at the weekend every now & again but the short journeys to work was killing it.
    If you want to do the energy diagnosis just give me a shout, I can be found on Dublin's south side sometimes!

http://www.bmwhaus.ie/forum/showthread.php?tid=142&pid=30872#pid30872
    I haven't and don't have time - I just got back from 2 weeks in the US and I've more travel booked. The car is going in for new brakes this week so I'll get a new battery added to the list.

I need a new house with a garage. And more time in Ireland.

BMWHaus Contributor

When I am here the car does about 50km/day. The last 2 weeks have been the first time since October it's been let sit for longer than a weekend. That said, I'll only be in the country for another 5 days this month. I would have thought that up a month would have been ok to leave a car sit idle unless the battery was really on the way out (which is what I think is wrong here).

BMWHaus Contributor

When I am here the car does about 50km/day. The last 2 weeks have been the first time since October it's been let sit for longer than a weekend. That said, I'll only be in the country for another 5 days this month. I would have thought that up a month would have been ok to leave a car sit idle unless the battery was really on the way out (which is what I think is wrong here).
    Yes you are right. It takes more than a week to kill a battery in normal conditions (no excessive drain etc). Logical explanation in that case is that the battery has reached its end of life most likely.

BMWHaus Guru

I have noticed across a couple of forums (fora) that a lot of people are suffering with failing batteries in this cold weather. The cold finally pushes them over the edge maybe?
    Current Garage:
    e36 Convertible, e63 M6,F82 M4, R53 Cooper S, F57 JCW, R53 JCW GP1, Porsche Panamera, Porsche 991 C4S

BMWHaus Guru

I have noticed across a couple of forums (fora) that a lot of people are suffering with failing batteries in this cold weather. The cold finally pushes them over the edge maybe?
    yeah use to happen to golf batteries too, always replaced come spring when it went back to 18 holes the battery wasn't able for it

BMWHaus Guru

Car losing time

I just had to replace a 2.5 year old battery in the e39 which is hardly driven. One if the first things I noticed was that the time ran a few minutes slow.