Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Latest changes to the Road Traffic No 2 Act 2013

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Latest changes to the Road Traffic No 2 Act 2013

The latest changes to the Road Traffic No 2 Act 2013 were enacted in the Seanad yesterday. Here's what to expect..

Penalty points for using a mobile phone will rise from two to three, and that there will also be roadside impairment test to check for drug driving.

There will also be higher penalty points for speeding, and not wearing seatbelts; and the act allows “unconscious drivers” to be tested for intoxication.

Roadside impairment testing, where Gardaí can carry out cognitive tests to establish if a driver is under the influence of an intoxicant. The result of the test can be used if a prosecution proceeds.
    A new Road Traffic offence of tampering with an odometer (clocking) with a penalty of €2,500 and/or three months in prison.
    There will be tougher penalties for involvement in a hit and run accident:

When a person flees the scene, with intent to escape liability, and does not offer assistance, knowing injury has been caused, €10,000 and/or seven years
    Where death results, €20,000 and/or 10 years.
    The act changes the level of penalty points for several offences, and these changes will come into effect when the Garda Pulse system is next updated.

Speeding will now attract three points on payment of fixed charge and five on conviction (previously two and four);
    Mobile phone use will now attract three points on payment of fixed charge and five on conviction (previously two and two);
    Non-wearing of seatbelts will now attract three points on payment of fixed charge and 5 on conviction (previously two and four);
    Other offences such as non-display of an NCT certificate, which at present involve a Court appearance, will attract 2 points on payment of fixed charge.
    When it comes to taking a blood specimen in hospital from a driver incapacitated following a road traffic collision, the new laws specify:

The permission of the treating doctor will be required before the specimen can be taken and the results of the analysis will be revealed only when the driver can, subsequently, give permission.

There will also be a new ‘novice’ driving licence, for the first two years of a first licence. Novices will be required to display an ‘N’ plate.

The disqualifying level for novice and learner drivers will be set at seven penalty points, just over half the level for other drivers.

Plus, learner drivers will have to produce a log book indicating that they have taken a minimum of accompanied driving experience before taking a driving test.

This is as well as the 12 formal lessons with approved driving instructors that are already required of them.

BMWHaus Guru

RE: Latest changes to the Road Traffic No 2 Act 2013

Pointless raising offences by 1 point. Having 3 points for something small is a waste of time and resources. Somethings I do agree with. I would never ever drink and drive and wouldn't drive stoned either but people seem to think driving stoned is ok? It isn't glad to see a test for this coming through. I imagne a blood sample would be required on failure?

Slightly off topic but has anyone noticed that checkpoints are almost non existent now since the new road tax system was set up I used to pass at least 2 a month I haven't seen one so far this year

BMWHaus Guru

Three points for speeding is a bit much! Thats getting into the territory where the insurance companies have full permission to rape you no?

Odometer fraud is great news though, finally!

I wouldnt like to be sitting my driving test again with all the hoops you have to jump through, but if it improves the standard of driving on our roads i'm all for it.
    E92 Interlagos Blue M3 - Current
    F10 Sophisto Grey 530d M-Sport - Sold
    F21 M135i Estoril Blue - Sold
    E92 Sapphire Black 335d M-Sport
    - Sold
    E36 328i SE Low Miler - Sold
    E46 Estoril Blue M3 - Sold
    E46 Titan Silver 330ci Clubsport - Sold
    E36 Cosmos Black 318is - Dead

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Ketron
    Thats getting into the territory where the insurance companies have full permission to rape you no?
    Are we not already there, the last 14-15 years?? You mean raped with a bigger stick maybe!!!

Sorry for diverting the thread....

BMWHaus Contributor

The non-display of NCT cert, does that mean cars with no NCT at all or just for not having the NCT disc in the window similar to the non display of tax disc penalty?

If its for having no NCT at all its actually a reduction imo, if i was the type to not bother with NCT i would be more willing to risk it with a 2 points and fixed charge fine rather than the previous court appearance and 5 points upon conviction.

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Cisk
    The non-display of NCT cert, does that mean cars with no NCT at all or just for not having the NCT disc in the window similar to the non display of tax disc penalty?

If its for having no NCT at all its actually a reduction imo, if i was the type to not bother with NCT i would be more willing to risk it with a 2 points and fixed charge fine rather than the previous court appearance and 5 points upon conviction.
    Speaking to a Garda that I know it seems there is a bit of reluctance to hit someone with a €1,000 & 5 points for no NCT. A lot of Guards feel that it is too harsh a penalty to hit someone with, especially given the potential for just plain absenct mindedness. With a lower penalty all round I would expect that they will begin to hand them out more frequently.
    Current Garage:
    e36 Convertible, e63 M6,F82 M4, R53 Cooper S, F57 JCW, R53 JCW GP1, Porsche Panamera, Porsche 991 C4S

BMWHaus Contributor

How will they be able to test for driving while stoned ?

It's not what you can buy . It's what you can build
    [AUTOMOBILE][REGIONAL INDICATOR SYMBOL LETTERS DE]

BMWHaus Guru

Haha, are you trying to tell us somethin Steve

BMWHaus Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Peter-E36
    Haha, are you trying to tell us somethin Steve
    Hhaha just being curious

It's not what you can buy . It's what you can build
    [AUTOMOBILE][REGIONAL INDICATOR SYMBOL LETTERS DE]