Thread: Options for passing NCT with retrofit Xenons?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Options for passing NCT with retrofit Xenons?

Hi Lads. I have OEM xenons retrofitted on a 2002 325. I know they are failing cars now if you do not have washers installed and self leveling

What would be the easiest and best way for me to pass the NCT?

Swap out the xenons for the test with regular headlights and then reinstall the xenons? Would I need to get this flashed twice?

Or

Try and retrofit the washers and self levelling. Washers should be easy enough but I'm not sure about the self levelling? Have sourced the parts for the washers just trying to decide whether to buy them or not

BMWHaus Guru

RE: Options for passing NCT with retrofit Xenons?

Would the normal self leveling light movement on initial ignition not cover this? Coupled with the manual level control in the car as in the light position dial?

As for retrofitting a wash unit, someone suggested just sticking the spray unit on the bumper to look like it has a washer hahahaha

I'd imagine the wash unit on an e46 would require new trim parts which fit under the headlight and additional outlets on the washer pump?

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy
    Would the normal self leveling light movement on initial ignition not cover this? Coupled with the manual level control in the car as in the light position dial?

As for retrofitting a wash unit, someone suggested just sticking the spray unit on the bumper to look like it has a washer hahahaha

I'd imagine the wash unit on an e46 would require new trim parts which fit under the headlight and additional outlets on the washer pump?
    I haven't a clue about the self leveling part to be honest. Hopefully someone here knows?

The manual level control doesn't seem to do anything. I think this is because the car was flashed for the xenons.

The parts I can get are: two jets, one washer pump, bottle,windscreen washer pump,headlights washer pump with connections and loom to wire up. I also have the trim pieces for under the lights in topaz blue colour so would need to get them sprayed imola red.

If I could get away without the self leveling I think Id buy them

Re: Options for passing NCT with retrofit Xenons?

I would imagine putting oem back in would be the easiest thing to do. You'll prob just need to clear the error code when reinstall the xenons.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

BMWHaus Guru

Hmmm it's a tough one to call. Like Paddy said, when you switch on the ignition the xenons move but i'm not sure if the NCT testers will check beyond that.

You won't need to reflash the lcm if you put back the original lights though.

Cheers lads. I think I'll leave the idea of retrofitting the washers alone for now. Will probably just do a switcharoo on the headlights when the time comes!

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by KieranR
    Cheers lads. I think I'll leave the idea of retrofitting the washers alone for now. Will probably just do a switcharoo on the headlights when the time comes!
    I have the originals somewhere in the attic if you want them?

Quote Originally Posted by 318 iS Cosmos
    I have the originals somewhere in the attic if you want them?
    Cheers Shane. Yeah I'll definitely take them you at some stage if you have them. Will be handy for the NCT.

BMWHaus Guru

Cheers Shane. Yeah I'll definitely take them you at some stage if you have them. Will be handy for the NCT.
    I will be heading home on Fri so will dig them out for you. It would be nice to retrofit the washers etc..nice little project