Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Removing Cigarette Smoke Smell From Car

BMWHaus Contributor

Removing Cigarette Smoke Smell From Car

Guys, I've been asked what to do about the above.

Recently bought car and it has smoke from the previous owner. He now wants to get rid of it. All sorts of procedures online but dont wana just attack the car blindly from an online recommendation!

Have you attacked anything like this before?

Thanks.

BMWHaus Guru

The guy who owned my x5 before me was a smoker. My approach to sorting it was simple, a bit like this:

Me: "Chris, can you sort my new x5, the previous owner was a smoker"

Chris: "No problem John. Can you get it to the shed?"

On a more serious note the fabrics and seats were wet vacced a few times, all interior surfaces have been cleaned repeatedly, especially trapped areas like under the dash and the windows.

Before all that was done I put a couple of bowels of baking soda in the car for 24 hours but it made no noticeable impact.

However since I have liberally sprayed Autoglym Odour Eliminator in the car incl on the headlining which has helped. I have a febreze air freshener in the car for when there's a little lingering smell but 5 months in the smell is pretty much gone.

BMWHaus Guru

Bang of fart usually gets rid of it, leave the car with me if ya want that method

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by HealyC
    Bang of fart usually gets rid of it, leave the car with me if ya want that method
    Ha, that approach was less effective after you had the x5! I though there was a nappy in the glovebox when I got it back!

BMWHaus Contributor

Ozone generator. A friend used one to remove the smell of smoke from his fire-damaged kitchen. I only know of http://www.ozone-cork.com/ but there's probably others.

BMWHaus Contributor

I wet/dry vacuum the whole car febreezed it left the doors etc open for a little bit then bought Californian scents air freshner and that seemed to get the worst out of the car .

It's not what you can buy . It's what you can build
    [AUTOMOBILE][REGIONAL INDICATOR SYMBOL LETTERS DE]

BMWHaus Guru

RE: Removing Cigarette Smoke Smell From Car

Very hard smell to totally remove, its more of damage limitations with smokers cars I find.

You can wet vac all you want but if it can stain paint in rooms where people smoke then it goes to show how powerful it is and hard to get rid of!

BMWHaus Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by ChrispyFish
    Very hard smell to totally remove, its more of damage limitations with smokers cars I find.

You can wet vac all you want but if it can stain paint in rooms where people smoke then it goes to show how powerful it is and hard to get rid of!
    Is it something you fancy having a look at?

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by kceire
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrispyFish

Is it something you fancy having a look at?
    Afraid not Keith, im no fan of doing interiors and when smoking is involved "IM OUT"

Im taking a step back from detailing very soon anyway

BMWHaus Contributor

I'm gonna have a go at it myself tomorrow Chris.
    I was planning to steam most areas in the car with a microfiber cloth wrapped around the steamer including the headliner.

Then planning on wet vac'ing the carpet and mats.

What would you recommend using?
    Dilute an APC?
    What about the CG odour eliminators on the sheds site?

Is there something that you recommend using?