Thread: Registering car between Ireland and UK

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Contributor

Registering car between Ireland and UK

This is a bit of an interesting one. Starting a new job in a few months which will mean I will be working in both Ireland and the UK months at a time. Plan on bring the car with me the first time I go to UK and register it with DVLA. I understand it will mean that I pay tax and mot in UK but wondering how it effects the title of car in ireland. Does my current number plate and nct become invalid and new plates issued when I come back or do I declare it off the road and bring to UK and when I come back declare back on the road ( have a feeling that would be a big no no ie. illegal).

Looking at getting an English driving licence aswell. Online says I can 'exchange' Irish for an English one but does that mean I surrender my Irish one?

Seeing if anyone has any experience of this. Will probably ring customs in the coming weeks for more information

BMWHaus Contributor

RE: Registering car between Ireland and UK

Re the licence it's a swap so you have to surrender your Irish one you need to hand in your passport and they quickly post it back to your UK address registered mail your licence follows after a week or so. You could also get a European one but I've no first hand experience of that so I can't advise

A few of the lads bought over there Irish cars and didn't bother registering them they never had problems from the cops.

Re: Registering car between Ireland and UK

Ur legally entitled to drive in the UK fora year in ur car and then u have to register it u can swap ur licence but if ur under 45 u can drive for 5years onit before u have to swap it .been looking into this myself .but on the whole its generaly looked on better to have a UK licence in the UK etc .
    Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2