Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Few Questions (problems)

Few Questions (problems)

hello all, i have a few questions as to little things happening with my car....there all very small but im starting to loose my mind :surprised:
    03 e46 320D 150bhp,
    1. brand new break pads, the old ones weren't bad but were replaced anyway...problem: every time i break when the car is cold the breaks make a grind/crunch/rubbing metal noise! doesn't do it at speed only when i come to a stop! no sticky calipers of squeaking. the discs also seem to get rusty over night but don't seem to be warped :huh: ???
    2. the very odd time dropping from 6th to 5th gear its kinda sticky! not crunchy at all and only happens the odd time....
    was told its very common and not to worry.????
    3. collected my car from the panel beaters about a month ago after getting rear bumper touched up and it had been sitting up there a week so when i collected it, it idled a bit off... at the usual but the needle was slightly moving up and down! i could here the odd idle from inside and outside the car... put this down to been cold and not started but it has happened 3 times since when started up cold and once while driving, almost like dirty diesel as it was a little sluggish and just cleared herself! perfect when hot doh???
    4. slightest wobble in the steering wheel when i say slightest i mean very little but its annoying me! tracking is perfect, shes had all new coilovers, tyres, drop links and wishbones within the last 3 months and there is no play in the steering and is ok at certain speeds.....buckle im thinking???

BMWHaus Guru

RE: Few Questions (problems)

Quote Originally Posted by -amanda jdm-
    hello all, i have a few questions as to little things happening with my car....there all very small but im starting to loose my mind :surprised:
    03 e46 320D 150bhp,
    1. brand new break pads, the old ones weren't bad but were replaced anyway...problem: every time i break when the car is cold the breaks make a grind/crunch/rubbing metal noise! doesn't do it at speed only when i come to a stop! no sticky calipers of squeaking. the discs also seem to get rusty over night but don't seem to be warped :huh: ???
    2. the very odd time dropping from 6th to 5th gear its kinda sticky! not crunchy at all and only happens the odd time....
    3. collected my car from the panel beaters about a month ago after getting rear bumper touched up and it had been sitting up there a week so when i collected it, it idled a bit off... at the usual but the needle was slightly moving up and down! i could here the odd idle from inside and outside the car... put this down to been cold and not started but it has happened 3 times since when started up cold and once while driving, almost like dirty diesel as it was a little sluggish and just cleared herself! perfect when hot doh???
    4. slightest wobble in the steering wheel when i say slightest i mean very little but its annoying me! tracking is perfect, shes had all new coilovers, tyres, drop links and wishbones within the last 3 months and there is no play in the steering and is ok at certain speeds.....buckle im thinking???
    Discs and pads need time to heat up.
    Change gearbox oil
    Change fuel filter
    Are the wheels balanced?

Quote Originally Posted by Venom
    03 e46 320D 150bhp,
    Change gearbox oil
    Change fuel filter
    Are the wheels balanced?
    are they always that noisey ??? :huh:
    fuel filter was changed along with a full service at xmas and wheels were balanced and had 4 wheel alignment also before xmas which is why i think slight buckle ....
    is a gear box oil change a big job? i might just flog it off to somebody who knows bmws to sort out the nick-knacks...

BMWHaus Guru

Did you buy OEM brake pads or a diff brand? some pads (mostly for track use) would be very squeaky until they heat up.

Changing the oil on a manual gearbox is quite an easy job so dont worry about that. Although changing the oil usually cures a diff problem that people experience and thats changing into first when the car is cold.

Quote Originally Posted by 318 iS Cosmos
    Did you buy OEM brake pads or a diff brand? some pads (mostly for track use) would be very squeaky until they heat up.

Changing the oil on a manual gearbox is quite an easy job so dont worry about that. Although changing the oil usually cures a diff problem that people experience and thats changing into first when the car is cold.
    dont think i have a diff problem although when i take off fast from a stop there is like a clunk! or even leave out the clutch fast theres almost like one clunk noise! no diff wine or any of that nothing that i would worry about, all gears select fine its only dropping from 6th to 5th:huh:

BMWHaus Guru

Could it be a worn syncro?

Re: RE: Few Questions (problems)

Quote Originally Posted by Venom
    03 e46 320D 150bhp,
    Change gearbox oil
    Change fuel filter
    Are the wheels balanced?
    They shouldn't squeek at all even when cold I hate squeaky brakes its embarrassing rolling up to the lights in a big squeek

Try a bit of copper grease on the back of the pad although most pads these days shouldn't need it they have a special backing

BMWHaus Guru

Few Questions (problems)

dont think i have a diff problem although when i take off fast from a stop there is like a clunk! or even leave out the clutch fast theres almost like one clunk noise! no diff wine or any of that nothing that i would worry about, all gears select fine its only dropping from 6th to 5th:huh:

Lol I meant to say different problem not the differential!

Clunk could just be a tired bushing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Lads, im slowly loosing my mind as its the only car iv owned that was super quiet and now i can hear everything..... my old cars i couldn't hear myself think....

I changed the gearbox oil on my 323 its very easy i used Fuchs Titan 75w90 and since then the gear changes are really smooth even when the box is cold its well worth doing. As for the clunks it seems its a very common problem on e46 mine does it even after i changed the guibo which is meant to be one of the many sources. The diff bushing and subframe bushes are the next to be done.....heres hoping to a non cracked body. :huh: