Thread: E90 Aftermarket Radio - Reception Very Poor

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Contributor

E90 Aftermarket Radio - Reception Very Poor

Guys, got the new radio fitted but now have 2 problems.

1. The FM reception is very poor, poor as in FM104 would br crackly, same for 98FM, and i cant even pick up NRG or Base FM
    2. The memory doesnt keep stored stations or time, bluetooth is fine though.

It was fitted by Germanicks, so i can only assume correctly wired together

BMWHaus Contributor

RE: E90 Aftermarket Radio - Reception Very Poor

Quote Originally Posted by kceire
    Guys, got the new radio fitted but now have 2 problems.

1. The FM reception is very poor, poor as in FM104 would br crackly, same for 98FM, and i cant even pick up NRG or Base FM
    2. The memory doesnt keep stored stations or time, bluetooth is fine though.

It was fitted by Germanicks, so i can only assume correctly wired together
    Jeez who is that guy that can't even install a radio properly :huh:

My view is that radios have 2 sources of power.
    1. Permanent, 2. Switched.

In order to keep the memory up, the cable loom provided with the radio has to have provisions for those 2 power sources.

Upon installation, the radio was connected to the original radio loom (Permanent power - memory) and switched power (fuse box).

With permanent power only from the original radio plug, the radio does not turn up (Often the case), after the yellow wire was connected to the fuse box, inserting the key in position 1, the radio turns up.

This is expected.

But in that case, the permanent power provided to the radio does not seem to reach it somehow. So I am thinking the radio loom is not wired properly from factory.

As for radio reception, in my experience some of those Chinese radio have poor radio reception anyway.
    But worth checking is the regional settings from the main menu. Make sure it is set to Europe.

Usually bad radio reception with an aftermarket radio means the FM amplifier is not powered up and an extra wire needs to be connected.

Again I think this Chinese radio loom is simply not wired properly.

My 2 cents

BMWHaus Contributor

RE: E90 Aftermarket Radio - Reception Very Poor

OK, so may have been just a bad connection. Refitted everything this evening, and radio signal is perfect. I couldnt clearly get FM104 today, never mind NRG etc and now i have everything and in stereo sound too, well according to the head unit.

Vast improvement to say the least.

BMWHaus Contributor

E90 Aftermarket Radio - Reception Very Poor

Funny enough it happened me on a jvc radio a few years ago.. Only thing I could think of was static build up In the unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk