Thread: E36 steering woes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Guru

E36 steering woes

Gave the car to a mechanic over the weekend, steering rack was moved forward to allow a manifold on over the weekend. Knuckle would have been disconnected and also the rack slid off the bottom end of the knuckle. Got the car back, thought the steering didn't feel the same as before but I put it down to tyre pressure or something simple.

Went out to have a look in the daylight and the knuckle and the rack have not been fully put back on their splines as they should as in part of the splines are visible on near the firewall and also where the rack joins the the knuckle. They are secured but a few questions as I have not done this job myself in a long time.

Are they meant to be fully pushed back in? I'm assuming so but can't recall and I have nothing to compare to.

Also would this account for the different "feeling" steering as in effect I now have a longer distance from wheel to rack?

What is the best way to get these pushed back on?

Thanks

BMWHaus Contributor

RE: E36 steering woes

There is a hollow point in the splined part where a bolt passes allowing it be held securely, part of the spline will remain visible, as long as its on and secure there is no extra distance. Even if there was 10mm it wouldnt make any difference. The seals in your rack were bad last time I seen the car maybe they gave up? How does it feel ? Heavy , light , vague?

Sent from my SM-G3815 using Tapatalk

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by dean-e36
    There is a hollow point in the splined part where a bolt passes allowing it be held securely, part of the spline will remain visible, as long as its on and secure there is no extra distance. Even if there was 10mm it wouldnt make any difference. The seals in your rack were bad last time I seen the car maybe they gave up? How does it feel ? Heavy , light , vague?

Thought about that too so I checked the level and grand on PS fluid. She has a wee leak as we know so tis not pissing out of it or anything. So not that.

Feels a little heavy if anything. Checked the knuckle full lock both sides and she's not fouling anything so not even a slight restriction there. Was on lunch so will have to wait till I get another good look in the daylight.

Hopefully it's all in my head...
    [hr]
    Quote Originally Posted by dean-e36
    Did you ask your mechanic if he done anything ?

In what sense?

BMWHaus Contributor

Did you ask your mechanic if he done anything ?

BMWHaus Site Sponsor

As Dean says some of the splines are left visible, check to make sure none of the pipes/hoses got damaged, twisted etc when it was put back together. Is it consistently heavy feeling or are there spot where it is lighter than others whilst turning?