Thread: e36 320i manual conversion?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question e36 320i manual conversion?

Wondering if it would work out worth doing... and strength aside, will a 4cyl tds gearbox work or will only the 6cyl boxes fit? And what about mounts etc?

BMWHaus Contributor

RE: e36 320i manual conversion?

It should fit but getting your flywheel and starter combo is a balls. You need gearbox, linkages, prop, clutch, flywheel, clutch reservoir, clutch pedel, and the ecu. Depending on yhe year, possibly the ews and key as wdll.

truth be told, its not worth doing as its a massive ball ache.

Well at the moment i have all pedals, clutch reservoir etc off a diesel one a.d saw that cheap tested auto coupe on donnedeal... couldnt live with auto

Dod I'm wondering did you actually think i wanted to convert a diesel one to a 320i engine, which i don't, was just hoping for a lazy/easy option using the diesel box that i have lying around instead of finding another. So can it really be that much hassle, ecus etc just for swapping in a manual gearbox into a auto car?
    I get the need for the gear related stuff and shaft and pedals obviously, but changine ecus and keys and chips etc.... were they that over reliant on computer bits by then already?

BMWHaus Contributor

Jo, I took it you wanted to convert a petrol auto to manual using diesel box etc. I still reckon it's going to be a balls. Try flogging that lot and replacing it with a manual obe or better still a donor car with a fecked engine or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Dod
    Jo, I took it you wanted to convert a petrol auto to manual using diesel box etc. I still reckon it's going to be a balls. Try flogging that lot and replacing it with a manual obe or better still a donor car with a fecked engine or something.
    Ah once i know that it's not really workable to use the diesel box i don't mind having to get a petrol box that's alright, was only floating that idea in case it wouldn't be too bad to use it and it'd save me some money as i already have it along with a lot of the other drive related bits, but never mind, scratch that idea.

So Are we still looking at needing different keys, ews, computer bits as well?
    That's pretty annoying just for changing a gearbox
    [hr]
    Quote Originally Posted by BMW
    I'v a 316i with everything needed, But not sure if it'd work with a 320i?
    possibly not, though maybe it would, will have to research it. Dunno if that auto coupe is still available though so all the homework may be in vain oh well.

I'v a 316i with everything needed, But not sure if it'd work with a 320i?

BMWHaus Contributor

You need a manual ecu and matching key, ews etc unless you get your own ecu reprogrammed.