Thread: Plastidip thoughts ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Guru

Plastidip thoughts ?

It seems that most people are unaware of the of plastidip products.

As I'm sure some of you know I have dipped a few sets of wheel, grills, badges, etc and love the stuff, it's very easy to apply, it's hard wearing, fairly resilient to stone chips and general wear and tear and it actually protects the original paint finish underneath.

Basically it's a fast, cheap but effective way to completely change the look of your car with the option to easily return it to standard.

Dipyourcar.com have released some amazing products lately to mix with the plastidip sprayable products (candy pearls, micro flake and chameleon colours.)

I am seriously considering getting the full spray kits later in the year to be able to do complete cars and have a lot more options with paints and mixtures and I definitely want to try something crazy on my own car.

Excluding the expense of buying the sprayer, mask and prep materials, Doing the spraying myself if seems I could do a full colour change in a basic colour, white, black, blue, green, orange etc for around €200-300

If I want to add a candy pearl, metal flake or chameleon effect I'd be closer to €400-450

Here is an example of one of the chameleon colours

http://youtu.be/SGdjWLan6hc

This is a good example of how easily it can be removed and and example of a pearl and metal flake mixture
    http://youtu.be/X_jbnMwlKCI

What are peoples thoughts of the stuff ?

Also anyone any idea where the law stands on colour changing of cars, I know you have to declare when you change the colour of a car but what about something like this this or wrap that is only temporary and can be removed easily returning the car to its original colour ?

BMWHaus Guru

Plastidip thoughts ?

I like the sound of it. Was considering getting the wheels done as it is easily reversed if I want it go back to Oem finish

BMWHaus Guru

RE: Plastidip thoughts ?

Quote Originally Posted by Chillipepper
    I like the sound of it. Was considering getting the wheels done as it is easily reversed if I want it go back to Oem finish
    That's it exactly, it cost me €60ish to do mine. Would have been about €40 if I was just going for matt black.

I removed the dip from one of my wheels when doing them and it was easy, only took 5 minutes.

BMWHaus Guru

Plastidip thoughts ?

Cheap alternative to a wheel refurb provided they are not badly kerbed...

Depending on how skilled/patient you are there's also the option of buying a wrap kit for your car in a gloss colour, as far as I know they can be bought for around the same price as the dip kits mentioned above.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=784074

BMWHaus Guru

Yes but your very restricted to what you can wrap, I couldn't wrap my wheels for example. Plus it's much easier to mess up wrap.

I'm not looking for a cheap solution to spraying the car or anything, I do need a few bits done which will be done anyway.
    I just like messing with the plastidip but I'm restricted with the aerosol cans so would just like to get the proper sprayer and start experimenting.
    Plus I like the fact that if I would fancy the car being bronze or something then I could do it and just whip it off when I get bored or fancy a change.

I like to be different

I think for things like wheels, trim, grills etc. it's great. I don't like it on the bodywork of a car as the texture is horrible, like running your hand over sandpaper.