Thread: Installing USB port.

Installing USB port.

Hi folks I'm thinking about the idea of putting 2 USB ports in the rear ashtray and maybe another one in the armrest/coin tray of my e46 I want them to look as if they are OEM so they have to be neat and tidy so my question is how easy is it to do and what's needed to do it? They will be used for the kids phones/tablets and the front will be mainly used for my phone.

I'd love to hear from some one in the know who can point me in the right direction.

BMWHaus Guru

Installing USB port.

Before anyone suggests the BMW ones it's a mess looked into it myself. Is it just powered ones you want? Or are you connecting to a head unit or something?

Sent forward in time from my Nokia 3210

Installing USB port.

I only want them for power from what I believe I could find a spare space on the fuse panel and use that but I'm just not too sure how to actually go about piecing it together as in the ports any connections needed etc.

BMWHaus Guru

Installing USB port.

Just don't go taping a usb without a transformer. I'm sure some one will come along and help if not I'll do some research for ya. Could be simple enough. Would need to step down the voltage as usb is lower than car voltage

Sent forward in time from my Nokia 3210

Installing USB port.

Cool thanks for your help ill research a bit and see what I find yeah I'd reckon it's handy enough to do I just don't want to go doing something that might just cause problems if it's done half arsed.

Thanks again.