Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E36 323/328 Tuning

BMWHaus Guru

Wink E36 323/328 Tuning

Somehow I ended up on this page, and thought it might be useful to some to post it and possibly have it as a sticky.

PS. What is no. 3???

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?544874-Official-M50-Manifold-Swap-Thread

BMWHaus Contributor

RE: E36 323/328 Tuning

That's a handy page.
    Number 3 is Cold air intake.

BMWHaus Guru

Ah! Cheers. They really love abbreviations in the USA eh?

BMWHaus Guru

Hey folks quick one for yee. Read something about removing the air box "restrictor" over on piston heads, apparently it's there to quiet down intake noise and limit the amount of air going in (in order to comply with the german tax laws - same way the m52 manifold is restrictive and so on.

According to the thread there everybody removes this and all are happy out with no issues. Can anybody confirm if I do this it has 0 negative effects on any other component / how the car runs?

I'm referring to the oval sort of funnel that goes in the air box (I didn't open mine to see but this is what I saw a picture of).

BMWHaus Guru

Cut it out of my IS and was only talking to Dean at the weekend and he has cut it out of his 323.

Go for it.

Google

e36 airbox debaffle

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Peter-E36
    Hey folks quick one for yee. Read something about removing the air box "restrictor" over on piston heads, apparently it's there to quiet down intake noise and limit the amount of air going in (in order to comply with the german tax laws - same way the m52 manifold is restrictive and so on.

According to the thread there everybody removes this and all are happy out with no issues. Can anybody confirm if I do this it has 0 negative effects on any other component / how the car runs?

I'm referring to the oval sort of funnel that goes in the air box (I didn't open mine to see but this is what I saw a picture of).

I removed it a few weeks ago, didnt think it really made a difference tbh. I'll get you a pic of it later on if you'd like? Its a ten minute job to take out, easiest to take to whole airbox off and it just clips out.

BMWHaus Guru

Yea would be great thanks

BMWHaus Guru

Here's a guide :wink:

http://www.bmwowner.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=68075

BMWHaus Contributor

Re: RE: E36 323/328 Tuning

Quote Originally Posted by Peter-E36

Just clips out . Makes more induction noise and feels slightly better in the last 1500rpm maybe its just in my head though. But its definitely louder
    Try it and if you dont like it just clip it back in

BMWHaus Guru

Will give it a go