Thread: E36 323/328 Tuning

BMWHaus Contributor

RE: E36 323/328 Tuning

Did this on my 323 and deffo sounds nice

Sent from my HTC Desire X using Tapatalk

BMWHaus Guru

Forgot to send it on last night Pete, here is a pic of the baffle:

EDIT: Did read something about removing the second baffle (the guide venom posted called it a trumpet) has negative effects and its there for a specific reason, I'll try dig it up but was written by a guy that seemed to know what he was talking about.

"The point of the baffle is to promote a Laminar Flow through the rest of the intake. Laminar flow is the opposite of Turbulent Flow. The Mass Air Flow sensor responds much better, and more accurately to a more streamlined, laminar flow of air through the intake system. Good cold air intakes have an inner geometry designed to promote a laminar airflow through them. Cheap intakes or homemade intakes do not.

The baffle is the BMW's design geometry that promotes consistent airflow through intake, so it can be more accurately measured by the MAF. Unless you really have a compelling reason to get rid of it, don't. While I'm grandstanding here, I would go as far as to say probably half of the people with cold air intakes on their car have lowered their performance because they haven't replaced the stock BMW design with something fundamentally better."

BMWHaus Guru

Thanks Cethern, yea was reading that alright, so seems the baffle above is ok to remove but not the "2nd one"? Definitely no issues with flat spots in rev range etc removing the "1st" one?

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Peter-E36
    Thanks Cethern, yea was reading that alright, so seems the baffle above is ok to remove but not the "2nd one"? Definitely no issues with flat spots in rev range etc removing the "1st" one?
    Wasnt the exact guy I was looking for but was a similar point he was trying to make.

Didnt notice anything, but to be totally honest didnt notice a difference positive or negative. I reckon they are both there to provide laminar air flow and has probably very little to do with restricting the engine.