Quote Originally Posted by armando
Quote Originally Posted by ChrispyFish
Well worth doing but a pig of a job!! Make sure to pick up some rubber gloves are your hand and fingernails be dirt for a week!!

Jack the car up remove the wheel, axle stands and then remove the arch liners themselves, the rears are dead easy but front not so, to be honest the front doesn't need sealing as much as the rear so maybe start with them 2 but do one at a time.

Power washer will be your friend here, steam cleaner will loosen the dirt but you really need a decent spray of the power washer to get rid of the loose dirt or you be there all day!

Don't worry about removing the tar, waste of time it does no harm. Should take you an hour per arch, buy some small brushes and some apc this will speed things up and save time

As for underseal there is so many to choose from, I done mine in the shed and we have a compressor so was able to spray it on through the gun. The underseal was about 7euro a can and I used 2. Its not an expensive job just messy more so then anything.

BEST FOR DEGREASING says out of stock but I know Dave has 1 left

BEST FOR SEALING ARCH LINERS

BRUSHES PACK OF 5 worth investing in for just general cleaning too

Never used this but its an underseal that's clear, leaves a nicer finish as its more OE im going to try this on the e39 next, the one on the e36 I reckon will last longer as its a thick coat.

If you check down my thread you should see the pics from the stuff I used and the finish it got from the compressor, I got some spray bottles for tight to reach areas but found the stuff just wasn't as thick or the same but don't the job non the less.

http://www.bmwhaus.ie/forum/showthread.php?tid=208

And here is the sealer I put on

http://www.4cr.com/?part=xmlproducts_eng
great write up! just to add on to this, its woth to chech old body shoot and seamsealer, as in brocken places it starts to peal off, and youcant see it, but its rusting away, especially check around the caps and plugs. as said its not a nice job, but once its done correct its there for long time!
i used wiredisk and grinder and i made sure there really is no bad spots left. using sprayable gun is faster and easier and it leaves ticker finish. if you do only arches make sure you wirebrush edge of the arch from inside as a lot of mok will be there.
if you do all underbody, prepare your self with feew beer as its not gonna be a quick job
Great write up, thanks very much. Will definitely will be doing this once the weather improves a bit.

Thanks again