Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your cleaning gear (tried & tested)

Your cleaning gear (tried & tested)

Iv tried a few products over the years numerous of each product

After many of each iv settled on a few things that I find work best for me for example I must have tried at least 10 different tyre dressers before finding a really good one iv tried sprays,aerosols gels the lot

Are they the best on the market doubtful but they are what I like and use so add your own share your thoughts

Tyre dressing
    Meguairs endurance gel

For glass
    Autoglym glass polish (I love this stuff)

Shampoo (chris put me onto this very good great smell a few more suds and it be perfect)

Autoglym super resin polish nice and easy to use by hand I have dodo juice polish here but Its nowhere near as good as the super resin imo

Wax
    Dodo juice natural rainforest (soft wax) good product nice to use lasts ages id give it a 4/5

RE: Your cleaning gear (tried & tested)

Had this thrown in with a power washer I bought, had it ages but didn't really have a need to use it up until recently I was asked to give a friends car a clean before sale.

For ease of use I'd rate it very high, gloss/clarity and beading were very impressive.

BMWHaus Contributor

Re: Your cleaning gear (tried & tested)

Great Idea for a thread. For tar removal I find Orchard Autocare Tar Cleanse very good. Have used autoglym and autobrite tar removers and don't even come close to Tar Cleanse

uploadfromtaptalk1397073087651.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Gar
    Shampoo (chris put me onto this very good great smell a few more suds and it be perfect)

It's a very good shampoo Gar!

Just a quick note for everyone on shampoo:
    Its not all about the suds when choosing shampoo, its more about the slick / lubrication it offers, so there is less resistance when using the mitt, and dirt moving over the surface. Suds do help to suspend dirt in the mixture, but its not the number 1 priority when choosing shampoo.

BMWHaus Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Owen E46
    Great Idea for a thread. For tar removal I find Orchard Autocare Tar Cleanse very good. Have used autoglym and autobrite tar removers and don't even come close to Tar Cleanse

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    I love the orchard stuff. Huge fan of the wheel cleanse and iron cleanse, and the citrus pre-cleanse is amazing at shifting dirt without touching the car.
    Huge fan of hydrophobe too.

Gtechniq shampoo. Super slick and excellent stuff. I like the gtechniq metal polish too, great results and easy to use. Gtechniq is pricey but you know where the money goes.

Autoglym HD wax. Lasts forever.

Meguiars quik interior detailer.
    Pretty cheap, can be used on almost any surface and leaves a nice matte finish. Not much actual cleaning ability though.

BMWHaus Guru

+1 for HD wax, so easy to use and will prob outlast my car.

BMWHaus Contributor

Autosmart stuff is the best I've used by far. They have an a.p.c called g101 that cleans everything and anything. There dash cleaner "finish" is great aswell and smells lovely. "Brisk" upholstery cleaner is also very good and leaves carpets fresh and soft. They also sell aerosol air freshner called blast that's like an air horn going off. One tiny spray hides any bad smells for days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    [hr]
    The best part I forgot to mention is all there stuff comes in 5 liters and the most expensive thing is wheel cleaner @35.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BMWHaus Guru

Big fan of the following:

Essentials
    - Dodo Juice Red Mist after every 2nd wash
    - Meguairs Endurance Tyre Gel
    - Autoglym Alloy Wheel a Seal, for when you're in a hurry
    - Autoglym Fast Glass
    - Zymöl Autowash
    - Dr Leather

Note for every wash/clean:
    - Iron X
    - Orchard AutoCare Tar Cleanse
    - Plastx for the headlights
    - Autosol for the exhaust tips

Kit:
    - Microfibre Madness drying towel
    - Wheel Woolies
    - Lambs wool mitt for body
    - Microfibre Madness mitt for wheels
    - Detailing brush for wheel bolt areas & other nooks & crannies

Every couple of months:
    - Soap X
    - Dodo Juice Purple Haze & Dodo Juice Orange Crush (depending on paint colour)
    - Meguairs Dual Action cleaner/polish & also
    - Autoglym Interior Shampoo
    - GTechnic C4 for tirim
    I've probably forgotten a few things that I use!

I need to discover a wheel wax that I like.[/b]
    Current Garage:
    e36 Convertible, e63 M6,F82 M4, R53 Cooper S, F57 JCW, R53 JCW GP1, Porsche Panamera, Porsche 991 C4S

BMWHaus Contributor

G3 clay mitt
    Got into the whole thing about clay 2 years ago when ordering off the lads in the shed and ever since have looked at regular clay bars both positively (see the contaminants) and negatively (time required). Knowing I had a voyager to clay and not have a bar to hand I opted to try out the clay mitt. Compared to the bar it is in another league. You tackle the car more like u are gently rubbing it like you are washing with a wash mitt rather that the bar technique which feels more aggressive. It feels more natural, is cheaper in long run and you can't drop it so all positives

Administrator

I havent used a clay mitt before, but I have a mental block in my head that would stop me using it - yes, it makes sense for the reasons you say, but you are unable to knead the clay to a fresh surface like you would with a clay bar....so contamination is always on the surface of the clay mitt, which in turn you are dragging on the surface.

But as I said, Ive never used one, so perhaps it isnt an issue - definitely not if you plan on machine polishing the surface afterwards anyways!