Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Inpa, dis grief

BMWHaus Guru

RE: Inpa, dis grief

Try set everything up on Com 5 or Com 8. I've noticed done cables need to be on one if these.

What car & year of car are you using it on?
    Current Garage:
    e36 Convertible, e63 M6,F82 M4, R53 Cooper S, F57 JCW, R53 JCW GP1, Porsche Panamera, Porsche 991 C4S

BMWHaus Contributor

Just finished a remote session with cable supplier and instalation on computer is correct so diagnosed as faulty cable. There is a new cable on the way a bit disappointed but very impressed with customer support and overall in my eyes that's far more important, the last failure they had was 8 months ago.

BMWHaus Contributor

Hate leaving unfinished threads, so here's the update got the replacement cable and everything is working perfect. Running inpa and dis at the moment. Think I will stay away from the coding for the time being as I have a habit of overstretching my abilities :happy:..as far as what's running it's very comprenshive in its approach to fault diagnosis and testing, hours of messing around ahead . I got the cable from cable shack and very happy with level of customer support and the service they provide to get you up an running. A question for any one who is familiar with this in dis for fault isolation /confirmation the screens reference fuses,wires,pins ect is there a reference book to speed up procedure of doing these tasks.

BMWHaus Guru

Everything is slow in DIS, a lot of waiting around!

Here's a manual for DIS:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yw0kitweakag1l9/GT1-DIS-Manual.pdf

More info:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/muajavvz83tkrbg/GT-1%20Components%20and%20Functions.pdf

Another guide:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y8ldbt254aarmh3/DIS%20Diagnosis%20Guide.pdf
    Current Garage:
    e36 Convertible, e63 M6,F82 M4, R53 Cooper S, F57 JCW, R53 JCW GP1, Porsche Panamera, Porsche 991 C4S

BMWHaus Guru

Inpa, dis grief

Ok just got INPA/ediabas installed in my laptop (win7 x64)
    It works but can only detect the DME, all other modules have a communication error( I can't remember the code something 003 I think )

Any ideas? Car is 2000 E46.
    I'm guessing it's how the cable is configured. How do I switch from K to Dcan and vise versa?

BMWHaus Guru

Inpa, dis grief

I am using com4 as per install instruction with matching com4 entry in ediabas.ini

BMWHaus Contributor

When it.comes to computers I can just about manage on and off buttons :wink:.when I got the replacement cable (cable shack) everything worked a treat. As for advise all i did was follow instructions on.disc. I can check settings but I am running xp with all Internet capability virus protection and firewalls off.
    From my very limited knowledge there are sometimes 2 diagnostic ports on cars of that era has this anything to do with it. (there's only the one under the steering wheel on.mine)

BMWHaus Guru

Inpa, dis grief

My E46 is post mid-2000 update so I have only the 16pin obd port under the steering wheel.
    I'll try again tomorrow using com1 but it's a bit odd that I can do anything with the DME also can read cd changer I-bus info but everything else I can't communicate with.
    I hate computers.

BMWHaus Guru

Inpa, dis grief

@[rebel.ranter] I read your thread on driver and see that you mention the dcan adapter for backwards compatibility with kkl cars, could this be my issue since my car is year 2000?

Pin 8 is present:

BMWHaus Guru

Hi, I'll have to refresh my own memory about Pin 8, I'm 95% sure that older cars like the e46 need pin 8 to be disconnected. Newer cars need pin 8 active (pin 7 & 8 connected).
    You can use a K+D CAN cable on an e46. There is a little utility that you can use to switch between K CAN, D CAN & off. I have a link to it on a few forums just google me & K's can utility.
    I find that these interfaces work best on Com 5, maybe it's just me!
    [hr]
    Oh, if the internals of the OBD cable have a white PCB then signs are that it is a poor quality cable. The ones with a green PCB are better made. Do a bit of searching to be sure. However if it works, then it works so don't get too caught up with that.
    Current Garage: