Thread: Wet-Sanding exterior plastic?

BMWHaus Guru

Wet-Sanding exterior plastic?

How to first off, better to rub in straight lines or circular motions?

What gear do I need to do this by-hand? And are there kits available with abrasives, compounds polish and clothes etc or it's a case of buying everything separately?

Sent from my WT19i using Tapatalk 2

Administrator

RE: Wet-Sanding exterior plastic?

Are you prep'ing the surface for spraying them?

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Curran
    Are you prep'ing the surface for spraying them?
    I have a splitter for the e36, which I might consider spraying if it doesn't clean up well!

But,I was hoping to try use a wet sand type process just to remove pitting and small scrapes/scratches. I had been watching some youtube vids about wet-sanding and they seem to use something like Meguirs Quik-Detail as a lube for the abrasive paper ranging from 800 - 3600 grade, but generally 2000 wet-dry, then compound, polish and seal. But Didn't really go into specifics as in plastics, body panels etc or kits available, you know!?

Administrator

So its painted already?

Yeah, thats pretty much the process - though I'd probably use 1500, 2000, 2500 and 3000 grit.
    Seeing as its a splitter, its probably destroyed in stone chips, so might be best to bite the bullet and spray it; and follow the same process to polish it up.

BMWHaus Guru

Re: Wet-Sanding exterior plastic?

No it's not painted already! Just thought it could be sanded with 2000plus to bring it back smooth because it's pretty bad with the pitting/stone chips!

Administrator

Ah - if its not painted; not sure how it will turn out by sanding the plastic.

But since its not painted; work away with 800 or more abrasive grit - thought it was painted and was afraid you might sand through the clear coat.
    The E36 splitter is supposed to be a smooth shiny finish? So after sanding it might be smooth, but doubt it will be shiny, you might need a clear coat on it???

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy
    No it's not painted already! Just thought it could be sanded with 2000plus to bring it back smooth because it's pretty bad with the pitting/stone chips!

I sanded, primed, painted and lacquered exterior plastics on my e36, can't remember what grade I used. Turned out fine. But then i was approaching the sanding as just keying the plastic rather than smoothing it.