Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tyre Recommendation Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Guru

Red face Tyre Recommendation Thread

Thought this might be a good idea for people looking to get new tyres and unsure what to go for. Put your recommendations/reviews here based on personal experience only.

I was determined to try Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2s as heard nothing but good things about them, but when I got my Rotas they came with Falken ZE 914s (225/45/17 rears and 215/45/17 fronts) which were barely used. Have to say I'm very happy with them and will be buying them again in the future, was surprised at just how grippy they are in wet or dry conditions, so much so that it would be pointless to have a wider tyre front or rear on my car (M52B25 e36 coupe with 2.93 open diff), they're also comfortable and quiet.

I don't have a huge experience with tyres but I prefer these to Pirelli P Zero, Dunlop Sport Maxx, and Goodyear Excellence. Although I thought the Dunlops were good.

Here's a link to them on Eire Tyres:

http://www.eiretyres.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?dsco=124&cart_id=51552218.124.10697&sowig an=So&Breite=225&Quer=45&Felge=17&Speed=&kategorie =6&Marke=Falken&ranzahl=4&tyre_for=&x_tyre_for=&He rst=Falken&rsmFahrzeugart=PKW&search_tool=standard &Label=C-B-71-2&details=Ordern&typ=R-212614

BMWHaus Guru

RE: Tyre Recommendation Thread

On the E36, I had michelin PS3's up front and PS2's at the rear and I honestly couldn't fault them. Superb tyre in the wet and dry.
    Fronts: 225/45 R17
    Rears: 245/40 R17

E46 325:I had Falken 452's all round. Mid range quality. Fairly decent tyres but the rears fell off the cliff pretty quicky and they had a bit of thread left on them too. Ended up buying a set of Dunlop SportMaxx for the rears. They were a much better tyre IMO and less road noise.
    Fronts: 235/35 R19
    Rears: 265/30 R19. Switched to 255/35 R19 for the Dunlops

M3: Vredestein Sessanta. Mid-range but fairly grippy in the dry. I think i'll be going back to Michelins soon as they are the best tyre out there IMO.
    Fronts: 235/35 R19
    Rears: 265/30 R19

BMWHaus Guru

Good idea! Maybe maybe links to sellers/pricing too? Surprised there isn't a sponsor here that does tyres?!

BMWHaus Guru

Alloy-Wheels.ie sell tyres also, and they guarantee to match the price of eiretyres / camskill.

See: http://www.bmwhaus.ie/forum/showthread.php?tid=1338

Links would definitely be handy and the car the tyres were on as well.

Re: Tyre Recommendation Thread

Stick with wanli,sunny and supagrippyfuntime and you should be fine

Im running the asymmetric 2's and on my 325ci they are very good both wet and dry, but they are soft and if you like to drive your car it will eat them!

BMWHaus Guru

Tyre Recommendation Thread

Afters years of running most premium brands I'd honestly say the best have been are the Toyo T1R Proxes I'm currently running.

Great in wet and dry conditions but the only fault I've found is that there a soft tyre. Rears have about 3mm left after roughly 15000mls so will get a pair soon.

Michelins would be my top pick if budget wasn't an issue!

BMWHaus Guru

I was only thinking they're a great tyre when I was driving your car over the last few days. Good tread pattern too.

My personal favourite is ContiSport Contact5s, had them on the 330 and wish I put them on the m3.

I find vredsteins too slippy on damp roads so will never buy them again

BMWHaus Guru

Big +1 on the Michelins, bought a set of PS3s for the e36 and they're a great tyre in wet or dry. Michelin is giving fuel vouchers with every set at the moment too. I got €50 maxol vouchers in the post a few weeks after getting mine

Bought a set of vreds for the 330i and I thought they were a decent midrange tyre, but as its been said, not great in the wet.

BMWHaus Contributor

Michelin pilot super sports are my favourite. They just don't let go in the wet. They cost a fortune but they're totally worth it.

Heard excellent things about the conti sc5 but they don't fit my wheels.

Had Bridgestone blizzak winters on the M6 this winter and i think next year I'll try the Michelin alpin winter tyres.