Thread: E36 Window Rattle

BMWHaus Guru

E36 Window Rattle

Hi all,

I'm wondering if there is a fix to my front windows rattling in the e36. It only happens when they are partially down or fully down. I've removed the door cards and tightened all the bolts that I could see on the scissor mechanism and there is still slight play in the glass if I pull it up by hand, is this a common problem? And does anyone know a fix to it?

Its not the end of the world, just bugging me when I go over bumps with them down, its been like that since I got the car.

I'm striving to have the car completely rattle free

Thanks in advance

BMWHaus Guru

E36 Window Rattle

I think they are out of the runners in the door left or right runner. Or the rubber/felt inside the track in the door has fallen down. Personally I would leave well enough alone.

Sent forward in time from my Nokia 3210

BMWHaus Guru

RE: E36 Window Rattle

Quote Originally Posted by Lucifer
    I think they are out of the runners in the door left or right runner. Or the rubber/felt inside the track in the door has fallen down. Personally I would leave well enough alone.

Sent forward in time from my Nokia 3210
    Thanks,

Cant see anything out of place or missing, has me puzzled but I'll look harder tonight. Have the door cards out to replace clips and fix loose bit on them at the moment. I'm not going to start removing glass or anything to get at it, doesn't bother me that much

BMWHaus Guru

Have you checked plastic retaining clips on the scissor mechanism? I know two of them broke on my e36 and the window was loose as hell. New clips fixed it!

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by 318 iS Cosmos
    Have you checked plastic retaiing clips on the scissor mechanism?. I know two of them broke on my e36 and the window was loose as hell. New clips fixed it!
    Hmm I'm unsure to what clips you are referring to, I'll take a few pics this evening and have a further look at it, might help explain.

Thanks

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Ketron
    Have you checked plastic retaiing clips on the scissor mechanism?. I know two of them broke on my e36 and the window was loose as hell. New clips fixed it!
    Hmm I'm unsure to what clips you are referring to, I'll take a few pics this evening and have a further look at it, might help explain.

Thanks
    No 2 here!

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=BE72&mospid=47426&btnr=51_2055& hg=51&fg=10

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Ketron

Thanks
    No 2 here!

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=BE72&mospid=47426&btnr=51_2055& hg=51&fg=10
    The one closest to the door handle is not too bad. The one closest to the front of the car is not very accessible. Any one have a tip to overcome that as I have a similar issue.

Oh and get some lithium grease as well for this job!

BMWHaus Guru

Cheers, I'll take a look at tonight or at lunch if I get the chance and I'll report back. Be well happy to get to the bottom of it

BMWHaus Guru

If your at any Blanch meet over next few weeks with doorcards off I will look for you if you want. The lads are right about the clips and they are a piece of cake to replace if you conduct your business correctly. I assumed you had checked these sorry.

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Lucifer
    If your at any Blanch meet over next few weeks with doorcards off I will look for you if you want. The lads are right about the clips and they are a piece of cake to replace if you conduct your business correctly. I assumed you had checked these sorry.
    Cheers man, I'll be at Blanch tonight, although I replaced the door card last night with new clips on the passenger side. I still have to replace the drivers door clips so that can easily be removed.

I inspected it again last night and it appears that the rattle is caused by the runner above No.4 on the realoem diagram, there is slight lateral play in it when I move the window by hand. I cant see a way of fixing it, as its in held in with a rivet and a metal clip?

Cheers