Thread: Coilovers or lowering springs

Coilovers or lowering springs

Hi,
    I have a 08 e90 320D, it needs 2 new shocks (one front and one rear) so while the work is being carried out I figured I might lower it. It's an m sport on 19s and it just sits a bit high. The shocks plus lowering springs comes to around €400/450 so I'm wondering would I be better with springs or should I get middle of the road coilovers for a similar budget?

BMWHaus Contributor

RE: Coilovers or lowering springs

coilovers are a bit harsh imo ,, sportlines the way to go can deliver to ur door for 210 and can get sachs shocks if needed chris ,, really the best way to go without ruining comfort

Ha it's actually perfectcar where I got the quote for the shocks I guessed the price for the springs with some googling.
    So you think springs I only really want to take the arch down to the tire wall.
    The f**king car failed the nct with a suspension imbalance so may as we'll make the car nicer looking while I'm getting it fixed

BMWHaus Contributor

Did he no u were on here fir forum members I'm sure we might be able to do a bit better on price for everything we always try are best i.ll get u a quote for the lot tomorrow.. call in and ask. For me eoghan and I'll see wat I can do

Good man I called in on Friday after work and was showing him the nct cert and just got him to quote what was needed it's only over the weekend lowness got in my head. Never thought of mentioning here. It was a front drivers side shock and a rear passenger side shock the imbalance was 65% plus 1 new wishbone bushing. I'll try and call in after work tomorrow. Are you there until 6?

BMWHaus Guru

As Cambo said the sportline it is a great set up.

I have the sportline kit on my e91 320d and its gives it a nice drop without going too low and start banging off stuff and maintains roughly the same ride quality. I think coils would be too firm on it to be honest.

BMWHaus Contributor

Darren ur ride height is perfect car looks really well love the touring

BMWHaus Guru

Thanks Eoghan, Ye it sits well and is still comfortable, took it for a spin up the mountains yesterday and its was grand on the bumpy windy roads.

Either go for good coilovers or springs, cheap collies would ruin an E90 IMO. My KWs are more comfortable than the standard sport suspension and the standard sport shock / Eibach spring combination.