Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 car insurance options

BMWHaus Contributor

2 car insurance options

I have an opertunity to get a cheap small car. As I would be the only person driving either car what insurance options if any would I have to make financial sense of this idea. Cars are 01 520 and a 97 Cleo. I am currently paying 330 for the e39.

BMWHaus Contributor

RE: 2 car insurance options

Put the Clio in someone elses name, get it taxed and tested and drive it 3rd party?

BMWHaus Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Dod
    Put the Clio in someone elses name, get it taxed and tested and drive it 3rd party?
    Cheers, Do I have to get open driving on my policy to get this to work or any other policy extras As it stands car has nct tax and in my daughters name so may be a runner then. :wink:

BMWHaus Guru

Re: RE: 2 car insurance options

Quote Originally Posted by mac7
    I have an opertunity to get a cheap small car. As I would be the only person driving either car what insurance options if any would I have to make financial sense of this idea. Cars are 01 520 and a 97 Cleo. I am currently paying 330 for the e39.
    You can open a limited mileage classic policy on any car 15years or older with First Ireland. You will have to prove you have a live policy already though. Usually you just need to mention you are a member of a car 'club'!

Sent from my WT19i using Tapatalk 2

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy
    Quote Originally Posted by mac7
    You can open a limited mileage classic policy on any car 15years or older with First Ireland. You will have to prove you have a live policy already though. Usually you just need to mention you are a member of a car 'club'!

THIS

Insure the Clio then ring First Ireland to insure the e39 if its 15yrs or older

BMWHaus Contributor

Yea I tried the classic route an the car is "only" 13 years old so that's a non runner. There was an insurance company advertising for cars 12 years and older(last year) but they said it was an error on there site.

BMWHaus Contributor

Parents are always either free or very cheap to add to a son/daughters insurance so don't have to go the open drive policy. Enda has a 2 car 1 policy I think so he might be on soon to share his taughts

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

BMWHaus Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Owen E46
    Parents are always either free or very cheap to add to a son/daughters insurance so don't have to go the open drive policy. Enda has a 2 car 1 policy I think so he might be on soon to share his taughts

Thanks the daughter is thinking about goin to auz so ditching her insurance. Car has 2 good discs (nct an tax)and worth more than you would get on dd and would make a handy yoke for the 5 mile trip in an out to work an for when I need to do a bit more than a service on the e39.

BMWHaus Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Owen E46

I have the classic policy with First Ireland. Unfortunately i dont think the E39 qualifies although it's worth trying them

BMWHaus Guru

Re: 2 car insurance options

Could you not do a 6k miles per annum classic policy on the Clio as it's beyond the fifteen years!!