Thread: e36 316i m43 engine stal when warm

BMWHaus Contributor

e36 316i m43 engine stal when warm

Beeing trying to resolve this one for a while, nobody including me is able to find what is wrong with it.
    Morning car starts fine. Go for a drive, do some shopping. Car won't start again. Have to start 3-4 times before it starts, or rev the jebus out of it then it starts.
    Any idea?

Cheers

BMWHaus Contributor

RE: e36 316i m43 engine stal when warm

Possibly crank sensor

BMWHaus Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by cambo
    Possibly crank sensor
    After further research there is a strong chance it is the fuel pressure regulator so I have one on the way

Administrator

Will be watching this!

Her E46 is running a bit funny - runs perfect when started from cold...no matter how long you drive it for. Turn it off and go back to it when its still hot/warm and it cuts out when the clutch is pressed or sometimes will die when idling.

Can you post up if the Fuel Pressure Regulator solves your issue or not! Cheers!

BMWHaus Guru

A friends 320D did exactly this and it turned out to be intermittent fault with the fuel pump.

BMWHaus Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Curran
    Will be watching this!

Her E46 is running a bit funny - runs perfect when started from cold...no matter how long you drive it for. Turn it off and go back to it when its still hot/warm and it cuts out when the clutch is pressed or sometimes will die when idling.

Can you post up if the Fuel Pressure Regulator solves your issue or not! Cheers!
    Sure will do years ago I searched extensively and found nothing. Now I decided to get back to it and there is a few threads about it.
    I changed the maf (600 euros ouch), new sparks, fuel pump etc and same issue
    All the guys had the same issue, finally changed the fuel regulator on the front of the engine with a pierburg one (original) and issue resolved straight off. Other brands of regulators do not hold and start to leak shortly after.
    Fingers crossed.

Administrator

Price of a new Fuel Press Reg?

BMWHaus Contributor

Price of a new Fuel Press Reg?
    I paid 75 from ebay uk delivered to my door

BMWHaus Guru

Will be watching this!

Intake cam sensor!

BMWHaus Contributor

Alright so i am happy to report for my particular issue, stal when warm and engine rpm fluctuating, has now been 100% resolved by the new fuel pressure regulator.
    Took 5mn to change, dead easy.
    Car feels more linear/responsive too, easy to imagine with the fuel intake cutting off.
    The car once started was not cutting off unlike the other poster.