Thread: E70 X5 BT

BMWHaus Contributor

E70 X5 BT

A friend has a 2008 X5 which he bought a few years ago but not from a BMW dealer. He asked me about Bluetooth and the module in an X5 relating to same. Basically he gave the car to someone for a test drive and when he got it back BT wasn't working. It was beforehand.

He seems to think either the module was taken out and possibly replaced with another faulty unit. Is this possible? I know there are modules in the boot but don't know if there is a plug-in module specifically for BT. I'd have thought something else would have stopped as well.

Also, the pairing code generated to sync with a phone. Would it be the same number generated all the time from a module in the car or would it change? Would this pairing code be printed on the outside of the module? Just wondering if there is a way to determine if a unit was taken/replaced.
    E90 M3 S65 4.0, Silverstone II, Black Novillo, 19\" double spoke, EDC

RE: E70 X5 BT

On the e39 the bluetooth module (ulf) is in the boot its a small silver box usually placed on the very top of all other modules the pairing code is written on the module id presume the e70 is similar

Its usually located on the lhs of the boot behind the flap

You can see the code on the ulf 6850 for this one

BMWHaus Guru

E70 X5 BT

It's the same number all the time for the same car so if the number has changed it must be because the unit was changed

BMWHaus Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Gar

Thanks for the reply, you're a gent. :wink:
    Can't believe the unit is that BIG. Why does it need it's own metal box? Is it because it goes up like Boeing 787 battery units :happy:

Would you reckon the X5 unit would be the same seeing it's a slightly newer car?

Re: E70 X5 BT

it is ridiculous when you consider you can have bluetooth on something as small as 5 cent coin nowadays

Just looked up e70 modules on ebay still a similar size one advantage is it should be to spot when hes looking for it

BMWHaus Contributor

Friend sent this earlier. Thought he was looking for a MILF...

but it was MULF2.

However, in relation to BT in his X5, does this make sense ?

Re: E70 X5 BT

I went and looked it up and its the correct unit for the e70 according to its part no.

I also found the mulf's pin can be changed you enter it through the radio then match it to the phone

BMWHaus Guru

A replacement Bluetooth module will need to be coded to the car.

There is an alternative solution for about €400 that gives OEM Bluetooth, iPod integration, USB port for music & Bluetooth streaming for music.
    Current Garage:
    e36 Convertible, e63 M6,F82 M4, R53 Cooper S, F57 JCW, R53 JCW GP1, Porsche Panamera, Porsche 991 C4S