Thread: Your thoughts on service history

BMWHaus Guru

Your thoughts on service history

It's coming up on 5k miles since my car was serviced and I want to carry out an interim oil service. Bought oil air and pollen filter from conlons in Limerick. My question is this I want to do the change myself and there won't be any record of this in the service log, I know when I purchase a car especially when it came to the M3 service history was top of my list. Would it be a negative if I come to resell it down the line?

BMWHaus Guru

Someone asked me a similar question recently on a special edition car. If I was a potential buyer and was buying a car from a genuine enthusiast I would have no problem with regular maintenance like this done by the owner once it is properly recorded.

Regards,

Andy

BMWHaus Guru

RE: Your thoughts on service history

I think you should continue on with the history if its in place already, especially when it comes to M's the history is looked at then looked at again so will stand to the car come selling time

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Chrispyfish
    I think you should continue on with the history if its in place already, especially when it comes to M's the history is looked at then looked at again so will stand to the car come selling time
    Chris

I would continue with the regular servicing of the car with a good Indy. The interim oil change is all I would consider doing as it's just a filter and oil change.

BMWHaus Contributor

You can always get the invoice from the dealers made out with your reg printed on it. In my eyes that counts as good as dealer service history, as the only difference in you doing it and a dealer doing it is the labour charges really

Sent from my magical talkie device

I service my car myself I very rarely bring it to a mechanic anytime I replace or change oils etc I just keep all of the receipts and write down on the corresponding receipts the mileage at the time of service/repair. At least then I have some sort of service history. I'd never bring any car to a garage if it doesn't warrant it.

If you are continuing on the full service interval and are only giving her some oily TLC then I'd see that as a bonus. As mentioned keep the receipt with mileage with the service book.