Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: e34 M5 Vs f10 M5

BMWHaus Contributor

e34 M5 Vs f10 M5

No offence taken at all. Good to have a debate. But as you can see 5 people already have said that they would prefer the e34.

I'd say if you asked the ordinary person on the street 99 percent would take the f10.
    I think in enthusiast circles though there will be a large amount who will go for the e34.
    As Andy and Chris have said there is a lot of enjoyment in pushing these older cars on.
    I have an e39 m5 and have never felt that I have pushed it to the limit outside Mondello. I don't get much enjoyment out of driving it and very early bring it out whereas the e30 m3 or e36 m3 get brought out for any sort of excuse at all.

I'm not anti new cars but am not that mad about some of bmw direction
    I don't like the idea of turbos on m cars. I do understand that things are being pushed that way. Also weight and size has gotten out of hand.
    I do like the m135 direction alright. Much nearer to e30 m3 philosophy.

BMWHaus Guru

RE: e34 M5 Vs f10 M5

Quote Originally Posted by DoktorB
    If we were talking about small, nimble, performance orientated cars then I might agree that the older car with hydraulic steering and cable based throttle, manual gear box and servo-hydraulic brakes might be the more 'enjoyable' car to drive.

But we're talking about M5's. What is an M5 - an M5 is a fast, luxury saloon designed to carry people in comfort at high speed. In this function the E34 cant even be compared to the M5 in anything other than they carry a similar badge.
    With one small addition, in that it can "shrink" around you when pressing on! I'd like to know if the F10 can do that, because the E34 can from what I've experienced. It'll never turn itself into an M3, but it seems to be able to hide its weight and size very quickly down a sweeping single-lane road

They have said that about every m5 jeff . Includeing the F10. That when your driving them on they shrink around you but I Think thats half the peoblem here . We are all only baseing our opinions on what we have read. As non of us have driven the F10 M5 .

Valid arguement dave . Cant disagree with what uve said there .
    Agree with the way cars are getting too big and heavy . But the way the world is going they need to compete and people now demand more room and more tech .if bmw didnt supply . They would prob go out of business.

Really wish bmw would make a supercar though. Instead of this tree hugging shite

BMWHaus Contributor

e34 M5 Vs f10 M5

Quote Originally Posted by Venom
    Old skool all the way for me. As said new cars are all plastic and over complicated tech.
    You've never sat in a new m5 so. Lol

BMWHaus Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Davy_b
    Think thats half the peoblem here . We are all only baseing our opinions on what we have read. As non of us have driven the F10 M5 .

Valid arguement dave . Cant disagree with what uve said there .
    Agree with the way cars are getting too big and heavy . But the way the world is going they need to compete and people now demand more room and more tech .if bmw didnt supply . They would prob go out of business.

Really wish bmw would make a supercar though. Instead of this tree hugging shite
    That's correct. What bmw is driven by is what the general public want. The enthusiast makes up too small a portion of their sales for them to bother about.

BMWHaus Contributor

I have a thing for the e34 and even more after driving Jeff and Barts one in Blaney. I don't like the way the F10 M5 has the fake sound pumped into the cabin I think it is going too far, still don't get me wrong it is a great fun car especially watching God trying to let his breakfast from come up in the Ring taxi was fun.

The M5 is a autobahn cruiser not suited to tracks like Mondello.

BMWHaus Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon
    I have a thing for the e34 and even more after driving Jeff and Barts one in Blaney. I don't like the way the F10 M5 has the fake sound pumped into the cabin I think it is going too far, still don't get me wrong it is a great fun car especially watching God trying to let his breakfast from come up in the Ring taxi was fun.

The M5 is a autobahn cruiser not suited to tracks like Mondello.
    Ha ha
    Hangover + sub 8 minute lap with Frits + back seat passenger lap in the taxi. Think God done well to hold it all down:shy:

BMWHaus Contributor

Neither driven or sat in either...

F10 :P

BMWHaus Guru

I've been giving this some more thought.

And I still pick the F10 as it has to work so much harder for its market segment now.

Even though M5's started with the E28, it was the fact that BMW made a 2nd M5 in the E34 which gave the rest of the manufacturers a boot in the ass to make thier own version. So Mercedes went running to Porsche for help to develop the 500E and Vauxhall had to bring in Lotus to develop the Carlton. But that was it. The E34 only had 2 cars to compete with in the super saloon sector.

The F10 gets attacked from all angles by Mercedes E class AMG, Audi's RS6, Jaguar's XFR, Vauxhall VXR8, etc etc (there are more). And it still comes out on top.

The E34 just had to be fast and great to drive.

All new M5's have to be faster and better to drive than everything else.

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by DoktorB
    I've been giving this some more thought.

And I still pick the F10 as it has to work so much harder for its market segment now.

Even though M5's started with the E28, it was the fact that BMW made a 2nd M5 in the E34 which gave the rest of the manufacturers a boot in the ass to make thier own version. So Mercedes went running to Porsche for help to develop the 500E and Vauxhall had to bring in Lotus to develop the Carlton. But that was it. The E34 only had 2 cars to compete with in the super saloon sector.

The F10 gets attacked from all angles by Mercedes E class AMG, Audi's RS6, Jaguar's XFR, Vauxhall VXR8, etc etc (there are more). And it still comes out on top.

The E34 just had to be fast and great to drive.

All new M5's have to faster and better to drive than everything else.
    I like the way our content is keeping the mind active