Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: e34 M5 Vs f10 M5

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

RE: e34 M5 Vs f10 M5

honestly anyone that says they would have an e34 m5 over an F10 is talking pure shite ,

if it actually came down to it and you were offered the keys , and told to pick one, its nice to say i prefer the styling of the E34 or that i like the retro look etc but youd want to be fully mental to chose a e34 over the F10
    twice the power
    twice the economy
    30 times more valuable
    30 times more comfortable
    mental v8 sound
    etc
    etc

vs

retro appeal

BMWHaus Guru

Don't know if it's as simple as that though Davy. Leaving aside the value aspect, in terms of pure driving I'd like to know if the F10 has actually moved the game on. Faster yes, but better?

BMWHaus Contributor

e34 M5 Vs f10 M5

Quote Originally Posted by Davy_b
    honestly anyone that says they would have an e34 m5 over an F10 is talking pure shite ,

if it actually came down to it and you were offered the keys , and told to pick one, its nice to say i prefer the styling of the E34 or that i like the retro look etc but youd want to be fully mental to chose a e34 over the F10
    twice the power
    twice the economy
    30 times more valuable
    mental v8 sound
    etc
    etc

vs

retro appeal
    I wouldn't agree by a long way.
    By that logic everyone would prefer an e90 m3 to an e30
    The e30 is in a different league.
    Also the performance of these newer cars Is not usable in a daily basis.

I would also take an e34 over an f10 any day

The f10 will lose 15k a year in value also and the e34 will not lose anything. Possible go up.
    Any newish bmw I have driven have been more uncomfortable. Run flat tyres, nurburgring times etc have ruins a lot of them.
    The f10 has a very poor sound due to beign turbocharged and they actually have to artificially produce a sound into cabin. S38 sounds better any day

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by DaveG
    Quote Originally Posted by Davy_b

twice the power
    twice the economy
    30 times more valuable
    mental v8 sound
    etc
    etc

vs

retro appeal
    I wouldn't agree by a long way.
    By that logic everyone would prefer an e90 m3 to an e30
    The e30 is in a different league.
    Also the performance of these newer cars Is not usable in a daily basis.

I would also take an e34 over an f10 any day

The f10 will lose 15k a year in value also and the e34 will not lose anything. Possible go up.
    Any newish bmw I have driven have been more uncomfortable. Run flat tyres, nurburgring times etc have ruins a lot of them.
    The f10 has a very poor sound due to beign turbocharged and they actually have to artificially produce a sound into cabin. S38 sounds better any day
    Have you heard an F10 M5 in the flesh???

Have you heard any of the new turbo-charged M's in the flesh?

If anything the Turbo's have added to the soundtrack and not taken anything away. The noise in the cabin is enhanced through the stereo due to the reduction in induction noise however the exhaust note is in NO WAY compromised!

I have yet to see an E34 M5 that doesnt need money spent on it. Even low mileage cars. So to say you wont loose money on them is wrong because they will most certainly cost you money in up-keep and maintenance whereas all this is covered in the cost of the new car/warranty.

I'm in no-way saying the F10 is the cheaper option but for this compariosn you have to compare like for like.

So just imagine if you have the choice of a brand new E34 M5 or a brand new F10 M5. Then what would you pick?

BMWHaus Contributor

e34 M5 Vs f10 M5

No I haven't heard a new f10 so I m not really in a position to comment alright. Most reviews I have read though are not very positive about the sound

As for maintenance I have my e30 m3 about 7 years and it has cost me less than 1000 euro in maintenance in that time. Yes a bit simpler in design but still similar era car. In that time it has increased in value 10 grand. You will still have to pay for service on the f10 which I imagine is not cheap.

I know this whole thing is not about money, I was just replying to a post above.

Of course people will have different opinions. If not they would never sell any new/old cars.

BMWHaus Guru

f10 for me also, I think this sounds fairly meaty.

http://youtu.be/VroCYCsHMiM

alright taking price completley out of it .

scenario is you are offered the keys to 2 cars , you must pick 1 , it will be your car for the next 3 years then you hand it back . all expenses paid for , fuel, maintenance, tax , insurance the lot . one is to an F10 M5 the other to an E34 M5

are you seriously saying youd take an E34 M5 ?

i couldnt . dont get me wrong i love the E34 M5 its gorgeous , but to take it over an F10 M5 is madness . technology moves on cars improve . in 30 years time the F10 will be looked at in the same way the E34 is today and there will be a new top dog which (in the eyes of the interweb people) wont be a patch on what the F10 was , etc . people always look with nostalgia towards old cars . and sometimes it overtakes sense.

as for the sound of the new m5 its being compared to a V10 thats why they say it doesnt sound as good. it never will on full tilt but around town a V8 sounds awesome and still sounds unreal on full tilt

BMWHaus Contributor

e34 M5 Vs f10 M5

Yes if it was your only car and you had to use it everyday and do a lot of mileage then I would say most people would chose the f10. I'm not sure what I would do. Possibly the f10 then.
    But if it was a second car / fun car I would have a really nice e34 over the f10

I can't see there being many f10s around in 30 years time. I think they will be impossible to keep right and will cost an absolute fortune to maintain.
    The e39 m5 is the last one I would be comfortable with owning into the future as they are the last of the fairly straight forward m5's.

S38 sound pretty epic with the right exhaust on it [THUMBS UP SIGN]

BMWHaus Guru

Same as that, if it was just a straight choice between the two then yes I'd still go for the E34. I think it looks better, and is a better size while still being able to fit 4 people in comfort. Plus for me its simplicity is a major advantage

Now an E34 M5 or an E90 M3 and I'd have to think a bit harder...

BMWHaus Guru

If we were talking about small, nimble, performance orientated cars then I might agree that the older car with hydraulic steering and cable based throttle, manual gear box and servo-hydraulic brakes might be the more 'enjoyable' car to drive.

But we're talking about M5's. What is an M5 - an M5 is a fast, luxury saloon designed to carry people in comfort at high speed. In this function the E34 cant even be compared to the M5 in anything other than they carry a similar badge.