Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calling all E90/92 335i owners!!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Cool Calling all E90/92 335i owners!!

Hi guys,

I'm looking to hear from anyone that has an E90/92 335i and can shed some light on a few things for me. Running and servicing costs, different trim levels, se and M sport differences, manual vs auto etc. Also if anyone has one for sale, or could be persuaded to part with one, let me know!!

Thanks all!!

Mike

BMWHaus Guru

Re: Calling all E90/92 335i owners!!

There was a black 335i m-sport in manual with red leather interior for sale in Wilcox motors in windy-arbour near dundrum but not sure if they still have it. It was 08 as far as I remember. Most will be auto and what's known as 335i se sport due to the sports seats and sport suspension. They won't have sport steering wheel or bumpers probably unless fitted after. Also they'll probably be from 2006 - 2008 as the tax kinda killed them off here.

That said, since I bought mine, the amount of 335i and 335d's I've spotted on the roads is phenomenal.......but it could just be that I notice them more.

Sent from my WT19i using Tapatalk 2

BMWHaus Guru

RE: Calling all E90/92 335i owners!!

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy
    as the tax kinda killed them off here.
    Would you believe under the wonderful new system they are cheaper to tax

35 mpg.....cant believe how economical they are!

Thanks for the reply mate! Did you get yours new? What's the differences in the m sport and the se? Forgive my ignorance here

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Mike-Rafone
    Thanks for the reply mate! Did you get yours new? What's the differences in the m sport and the se? Forgive my ignorance here
    Have mine almost 2 years now, so not from new! There isn't much difference in spec between them to be honest. Exterior trim in shadowline black on m-sport - chrome on se, interior trim is usually piano black or brushed silver on m-sport, steering wheel has perforated leather, 'M' badge and thumb grips on m-sport, bumpers, and, I think the wheels on the m-sport are 19inch as apposed to 18s on the se. Engine, suspension and seats all the same. I'm open to correction though of course, as there are probably some other subtle differences. Also the wheels are known to crack.

I'm getting close to 400 miles to a tank about 34-35mpg motorway and about 26-27mpg combined going by the OBD. Drive her hard is obviously less. Lag isn't bad because the 2 turbos try eliminate lag. Think the known faults are turbos, coil packs, some gearbox problems, rear light module on drivers side and parking sensors..... but I'm pretty sure these faults are across the range, but can be pricey nonetheless. Some like the gearbox is software and can be flashed and updated.

Service history, regular oil changes including intermediate and brakes should all be checked / documented for piece of mind, and try get one with an extended warranty. This is something I need to look into.

Hope that helps!

Is yours an auto? Did it take much to adjust to the gear box? I've only ever driven manual cars and the auto seems daunting!

BMWHaus Guru

Yeah mine's auto but the autos usually come with paddle shift and sequential anyway. It's more a cruisey kinda car rather than something you'd drive like an M3. Don't get me wrong when you press the loud-peddle she moves and will absolutely keep up with an e46 M3 all day long if you want...... But it's more refined and slightly a lazy car as I say more for cruising in. That's just my opinion and it's how I drive it but I think it gives best of both worlds.

I was always driving manual and found I didn't trust the car for several months after getting it because I always felt more in control of a car when I changed gear but I think with any car you need a bonding period! Say you go from an e36 316 into an e60 M5 both manual, you're going to need to to settle and get used to it! Just the same with the auto!

BMWHaus Guru

I apologise for thread-jacking in advance but it's very interesting to hear that you find it more of a cruiser even though it's a 3L twin turbo, it seems all owners of big engined non M BMWs from 3s to 6s reckon their cars are more suited to cruising, the same with 645 it was exactly described as a lazy cruiser. Non M e60s have no LSDs (Non Ms in general I suppose) And even e36 328/323s have the 2.93 diff which makes for ludicrously long gears... again suited for cruising. Still though, hard to beat 50/50 weight distribution when the going gets twisty

BMWHaus Guru

I think it's more to do with it being an auto..... All ya have to do is sit in press the acceleratrix and steer :P

Different story in my e36 which has the 3L M3 engine and is manual...... That gets driven like I stole it a fair bit...... In brief spurts when safe of course!!

BMWHaus Guru

S50... Yum... Any pictures or threads on it?