Thread: e63 M6 TV & Dension Installation

BMWHaus Guru

e63 M6 TV & Dension Installation

Today I finished of a job that I started two weeks ago. The installation of Dension gateway 500, Dension AVR & DVB-T receiver (Digital TV tuner) in a 2007 e63 M6.
    This particular car is what can only be described as stunning, immaculate & awesome! It is a well-cared for low miler car. Literally flawless paintwork.

I started two weeks ago with the Dension Gateway 500 install & parked the job as the AVR was not available at the time.
    I had forgotten what a mass of cabling that was involved when I installed the same set up in my own e63, each piece on its own was not complicated but put it all together & then it can get a bit tricky.
    For some reason there were problems connecting to the car with NCS Expert, I needed to do this in order to code the video in motion. I got a brainwave where I decided to remove the CCC from the car completely & then fit it in to my own e63 & code it through my car! It worked a treat! (I forgot to add the alarm chirps option in the menu though, it wasn’t what I was there for but it would have been good to do it seeing as I was there already).
    The Dension Gateway has some fibre optic connections, I decided follow what I had done previously in my own car & tap in the fibres at the back off the CCC. All the devices that carry sound are connected in a fibre loops called MOST, the Bluetooth, Logic 7 amp, CCC, CD changer & the Dension unit.
    I also hooked up the reverse camera that was already installed, it activates when you go in to reverse but there is interference when the engine is running. I have to find an alternative earthing source to resolve that I think.
    Here’s some shots of the devices & cabling:
    Dension AVR

DVB-T tuner

The cabling “mess” prior to tidy up.
    Back of CCC:

IR Receiver

One of the (two) antennas for TV reception

[hr]
    Here’s some shots showing the TV in action:

MP4 Movie played from USB stick via DVB-T

DVB-T menu

[hr]
    Shots of the car itself, credit to the owner:

Current Garage:
    e36 Convertible, e63 M6,F82 M4, R53 Cooper S, F57 JCW, R53 JCW GP1, Porsche Panamera, Porsche 991 C4S

BMWHaus Guru

Smashing job Mark, that looks great. Where did you finally place the ir?

BMWHaus Guru

RE: e63 M6 TV & Dension Installation

Quote Originally Posted by JohnH
    For aesthetics reasons I put it inside the vent. You do have to hold the remote at a certain height to use it. If you want it to work without fuss maybe it would be beter mounted on the top or bottom corner of the windscreen....
    Current Garage:
    e36 Convertible, e63 M6,F82 M4, R53 Cooper S, F57 JCW, R53 JCW GP1, Porsche Panamera, Porsche 991 C4S

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by rebel.ranter
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH
    For aesthetics reasons I put it inside the vent. You do have to hold the remote at a certain height to use it. If you want it to work without fuss maybe it would be beter mounted on the top or bottom corner of the windscreen....
    Thanks, same as yours so.
    I think inside the vent is the best place.

BMWHaus Contributor

Glad the owner got sorted
    When he ordered from me there was a 4 weeks back order for the AVR.
    Turns out the Dension iCon I got him instead was not working in his car

That IR in the vent which I tried before is very awkward to reach with the remote, tried it on his request, but it was poor though.
    Not so much a location issue, it is more a range limitation of the remote

BMWHaus Guru

Top work Mark...are you doing all this so you can buy it when he's done with it? :wink:

BMWHaus Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by eddiem74
    Top work Mark...are you doing all this so you can buy it when he's done with it? :wink:
    I seriously doubt the current owner will ever sell it based on the little I know about him

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by GERMANIKS
    Quote Originally Posted by eddiem74
    I seriously doubt the current owner will ever sell it based on the little I know about him
    Never say never! :happy: but you're probably right.
    Current Garage: