Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stiffer chassis = no need for stiffer suspension?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Guru

Lightbulb Stiffer chassis = no need for stiffer suspension?

What are people's thoughts on this?

Is stiffening the chassis a good way of improving handling without compromising comfort? Or does it not make enough of a difference on its' own?

Have m-tech suspension + powerflex front/rear at the moment, it's tight yet comfortable. I want to make it as tight as possible without ruining that, so picked up proper front and rear strut braces ( thanks James ) and will be getting an x-brace as well before fitting all 3. Do you reckon it'll do the trick?

Will be getting BCs with adjustable dampening in the future but that's not for another while, I would really rather get an Eisenmann first!

RE: Stiffer chassis = no need for stiffer suspension?

id say they will make a small difference but the bc's would defintely be more noticable the stiffer chassis would really be only noticable when the car is literally being pushed to the absolute limits

My car has coilovers, strut brace, powerflex bushes and on the road is very nimble but on the limit you can feel body roll hindering the fun a little so I'd be looking at an ARB kit to cure this.

how old are your arb bush's ger , you might just need a refresh the eibach anti roll bars are around 350 gbp , is there any difference between the m3 anti roll bars and mtech roll bars ?

BMWHaus Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Gar
    how old are your arb bush's ger , you might just need a refresh the eibach anti roll bars are around 350 gbp , is there any difference between the m3 anti roll bars and mtech roll bars ?
    The Mtech antiroll bar size Front 22mm rear 18mm
    328 antirollbar size Front 24mm rear 15mm
    M3 3.0 antirollbar size Front 22mm rear 19mm
    M3 Evo Antriroll bar Size Front 23mm rear 20mm

Eibach upgrade kit size Front 25mm rear 21mm

BMWHaus Guru

That's exactly it Ger, most of the time it's nimble, but when I'm really pushing on twisty roads can feel a bit of body roll/chassis flex.

They are not new but they are not bad either, not sure but I think M3 are just a few mm thicker

BMWHaus Contributor

Fitting a X brace is a good upgrade to stiffen the chases. I have put BC coilovers in the track car and find the great, I am running the damper setting at 7 on front and rear.

Quote Originally Posted by Moses
    Fitting a X brace is a good upgrade to stiffen the chases. I have put BC coilovers in the track car and find the great, I am running the damper setting at 7 on front and rear.
    Not having a go but you know the rebound goes up to 30 right? Ive mine set to 20 on 12kg springs in a road car and I think ill go a tad harder, id imagine on a track car you would put her the stiffest possible

A few mm can make a huge difference afaik the difference between se an msport is around 2-3mm eibach are usually 2mm more then sport might be worth looking into m3 ones