Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E36 Angel Eyes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Guru

E36 Angel Eyes

Hi folks, would like to know more about lighting as I literally know nothing on the subject. If this is a mod that I end up doing down the line, would like to make an informed decision based on some of the more knowledgeable people's feedback.

I really want to avoid tacking up the e36, but I do like the look of them. So would only be interested in something that BMW would've fitted if e36s came with angel eyes. OEM quality/look.

The internet is full of ccfl this, and led that, orions - depots - projector shrouds, and stuff that is apparently a fire hazard.

This is kind of the look that I like.

Any ideas?

BMWHaus Guru

RE: E36 Angel Eyes

You want ccfl rings and avoid hella, depot etc as they are a full new headlight afaik

Also send Armando a pm i think he makes the shrouds?

@BluhBluh the ones you made up and sold to me were high quality

Shane had a set in his e36 they were a very close match to a stock look there were not white but more similar to the original e39 angel eye and I think this worked in their favour as it tied in more with the e36's age

BMWHaus Guru

I am not fussed at all about the colour as long as it's not "boy racer blue". If it's the same shade of light as the original, and I won't have trouble with NCT then would be great. Would you need shrouds even if you don't fit HIDs (in order to be able to see the angel eye on the dipped lights) ? Or does that mean I won't see anything? It's no secret that the standard e36 lights are shocking in terms of visibility, if I'm driving at night and don't have the high beams on I pretty much can't see anything! Which means I pretty much can't see anything all the time at night So would be happy to upgrade as well even if it means changing back before NCT.

You won't need shrouds for angel eyes only the hid's

BMWHaus Guru

I had 'Gen 5' angel eyes back in the day when they were current, I prob wouldn't fit them
    now if I had an E36, but here are mine on the old E36.

Also, I had a 6000k HID kit with shrouds from E36coupe.com

Don't bother with LEDs you won't see them during the day, CCFL's can be seen in the brightest sunlight. The problem with CCFL's is that the inverters burn out after a certain amount of use, they aren't expensive but it's better you know.

I think mine look the dogs anyways...

BMWHaus Contributor

I would go for white ccfl's. Wire them up to the parking bulb wires. Had a set on my first e36 which i sold to shaunokeefe afte, then had LED ones on my 2nd e36 but after few months changed them to ccfl. And getting another set now for the new one Never had problems with NCT when i had angel eyes installed.

BMWHaus Guru

Love the ones above on Don and Ger's cars. What's the difference? Both are glued on the inside with HID bulbs and shrouds? CCFL is a type of light or a brand? As above - I'm clueless with this stuff...