Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dension woes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Guru

Dension woes

I know a few people have has these before and a few have installed them.

I bought the Dension Gateway pro for my car, first one was faulty, I got a second one everything's works but I have a few issues and I'm hoping someone can shed some light on it.

1. I'm getting that high frequency sound, like the dension is picking up interference from the alternator, this is only when connected to the iPod or the iphone through usb.

2. When I turn the volume down, it doesn't go right down on the front speakers, only does it on the dension, switch to CD player (the dash one as I removed the changer)

3. The sound quality is crap, poorer than radio and I would have all of my music in high quality.

I'm thinking of just sending back and buying an andrive.

Would @[GERMANIKS] or @[rebel.ranter] have any experience with these issues?

BMWHaus Guru

RE: Dension woes

I Don't have any experience with these particular kits or how they are connected but the interference problem is usually a bad earth/ground, the other issues could be effected by this too.

BMWHaus Guru

Dension woes

It doesn't make sense that it would come and go when connecting and disconnecting the dension if it were an earth issue though.

BMWHaus Contributor

What car is it please?

BMWHaus Guru

Dension woes

E39 with a retrofitted MID

BMWHaus Contributor

Is the radio connected to the original radio loom?
    I have seen a few cases where there was a Parrot or equivalent before using a SOT plug (These have much thinner wire gauge size than OEM usually), those plugs were left plugged in to the radio and it causes background noise issues.
    If that's the case, remove it and go back to the original plug.
    If not try the latest firmware.
    If still no luck, I would say send it back
    In my experience, Grom Audio is a much better and reliable solution for the E39/E46/E53...

BMWHaus Guru

Dension woes

Thanks Mike, I'm running the original loom.

That being said, now that you say that, one does get the adapter loom to integrate the dension to the existing system, that could be the cause of it.

No way of testing it really, might just send it back for now.

Maybe it's time I made that long overdue visit to you to get my sound deficiencies sorted once and for all.

Just had a look at the Grom Audio and it looks pretty decent, what I want is a Bluetooth car kit, facility for Bluetooth streaming, iPod/iphone.

Think I'm just gonna send the dension back.

BMWHaus Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Dave
    Thanks Mike, I'm running the original loom.

That being said, now that you say that, one does get the adapter loom to integrate the dension to the existing system, that could be the cause of it.

No way of testing it really, might just send it back for now.

Maybe it's time I made that long overdue visit to you to get my sound deficiencies sorted once and for all.

Just had a look at the Grom Audio and it looks pretty decent, what I want is a Bluetooth car kit, facility for Bluetooth streaming, iPod/iphone.

Think I'm just gonna send the dension back.
    I had faulty dension loom in the past alright.
    Grom only has 3 wires and a plug for the cd changer. Original radio loom remains connected to the radio.

BMWHaus Guru

Dension woes

Is the grom situated in the boot then? How does it integrated, does it require cutting any wires?

Edit: just answered my own question, couldn't be situated in the boot, not unless one would run a very long mic cable [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND SMILING EYES]

BMWHaus Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Dave
    Is the grom situated in the boot then? How does it integrated, does it require cutting any wires?

Edit: just answered my own question, couldn't be situated in the boot, not unless one would run a very long mic cable [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND SMILING EYES]
    Only in the trunk when you have satnav, since the radio is in the trunk.
    Bt dongle and mic wire are long enough to reach the front.