Thread: Engine stands

BMWHaus Guru

Engine stands

What are ye using lads? What's good and what's to be avoided? Any recommendations and links/pics are welcome.

BMWHaus Contributor

RE: Engine stands

Draper do decent items but most hrands have the exact one painted differently. Tbh though, I had one and used it once, thought to myself, fuck this. There was no advantage to having it as A, you still need to lift and angle it to mount it, B, you need to remove the flywheel, more work, C, 7t does nothing that cant be done on a bench.

I sold mine and I've never missed it.

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Dod
    Draper do decent items but most hrands have the exact one painted differently. Tbh though, I had one and used it once, thought to myself, f*** this. There was no advantage to having it as A, you still need to lift and angle it to mount it, B, you need to remove the flywheel, more work, C, 7t does nothing that cant be done on a bench.

I sold mine and I've never missed it.
    I guess it just looks handy as they can rotate and also it would have wheels which would be a help.

BMWHaus Contributor

There is that but I also have a 3x4ft sheet of 3/4" ply with a castor on each corner, its handy for transport. Also, they always seem to be too short as well and I'm only going 6ft tall.

BMWHaus Contributor

I bought one of this last year and found it pretty handy. It'll take an M44 but I have my doubts it would manage a bigger engine

http://www.jebbtools.ie/engine-stand

BMWHaus Contributor

I have one similar to the one linked above, Ive an M57 mounted on it at the moment. It does look a bit under pressure but holds it fine. Its rated to 500kg so by country mans rule of thumb it should hold at least twice that....?

They are a bit of a pain in the hole to get the engine mounted but in fairness they are a handy tool

BMWHaus Contributor

Mine struggled with an m52 but it's dead on with an m57.

BMWHaus Contributor

Tbh, an engine crane is a better buy.