Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are e39s selling ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Are e39s selling ?

Have a 97 523 for sale, on and off over the past few months for around the 1000 mark and have hardly a nibble. It had an NCT until this month and needs nothing. Are petrol E39 sales dead bar the odd M5 here or there ?

BMWHaus Contributor

RE: Are e39s selling ?

Quote Originally Posted by voxpop
    Have a 97 523 for sale, on and off over the past few months for around the 1000 mark and have hardly a nibble. It had an NCT until this month and needs nothing. Are petrol E39 sales dead bar the odd M5 here or there ?
    too many for sale for 3 or 4 hundred,bought for drifting etc. 1000 for a 97 probably struggle no matter how good it is unless someone from here wanted it.most who would pay 1000 would want msport kit etc.

facelift sports still sell but unfortunately the demand for prefacelift se's is very low

Quote Originally Posted by Gar
    facelift sports still sell but unfortunately the demand for prefacelift se's is very low
    It is a sport (suspension,steering,seats,shadowtrim)- but back in the day bmw didnt put sport bumpers on E39s, msport appeared in 99. Also has facelift lights . Still probably doesnt help.

Didnt realize they have dropped so much - there is alot of 520 junk around the 500 mark - think mine is worth more than those.

Sounds like breaking it or keeping it as a project are the only options these days ?

Quote Originally Posted by Gar
    It is a sport (suspension,steering,seats,shadowtrim)- but back in the day bmw didnt put sport bumpers on E39s, msport appeared in 99. Also has facelift lights . Still probably doesnt help.

Didnt realize they have dropped so much - there is alot of 520 junk around the 500 mark - think mine is worth more than those.

Sounds like breaking it or keeping it as a project are the only options these days ?
    there is a huge amount of rubbish on the roads i see probably one maybe two at most really tidy e39's a week the rest do be hanging together people just wont put the cash into them , then theres the people that want them but cant justify paying 1200 euro tax on a 1000 euro car

theres very few left out there that are not ruined at this stage but id say your just going to have to drop the price to around 6-700e that should get the phone ringing

Quote Originally Posted by indigais
    Why in these day some one need 97 523
    6 cylinders :wink:

BMWHaus Guru

Are e39s selling ?

Quote Originally Posted by indigais
    Why in these day some one need 97 523
    6 cylinders :wink:
    Facelift 520 is 6 cylinders

The only 4 cylinder e39 was the 520d which was never sold in the uk and ireland

BMWHaus Guru

If I was in the market for a project e39, I would consider a good condition 523 se if it was cheap, and fit an M50 manifold, 528 exhaust (or with some work a 530 exhaust), M-sport it up and enjoy it I don't think the 520 M54B22 is easy to tune.

Having said that, if you weren't going to mod it, as Aivis said it wouldn't make sense to buy the 523 as it would be the same power out of the box althought the 520 would have a little less torque.

Dunno why I never hear of anybody fitting m50 / 528 exhaust on e39 523s though??? :/

Quote Originally Posted by Peter-E36
    If I was in the market for a project e39, I would consider a good condition 523 se if it was cheap, and fit an M50 manifold, 528 exhaust (or with some work a 530 exhaust), M-sport it up and enjoy it I don't think the 520 M54B22 is easy to tune.

Having said that, if you weren't going to mod it, as Aivis said it wouldn't make sense to buy the 523 as it would be the same power out of the box althought the 520 would have a little less torque.

Dunno why I never hear of anybody fitting m50 / 528 exhaust on e39 523s though??? :/
    That was kinda my plan M50 manifold +BBTB + 328/528 exhaust + MSport front and rear. Never got around to it and circumstances changed.
    I do think that if it was a e36 323, it would probably be gone and someone would have done the above, but noone seems to modify e39s anymore.

BMWHaus Guru

Why not do that if you can get as much power or more out of the modified M52B25 as a standard M54B25 for less money? I think it's been said before though, most people who buy e39s don't fiddle with them as much as e36s, I suppose it's why it's hard to shift parts when people break e39s.