Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The fight against VRT

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Guru

The fight against VRT

Just saw this on another forum , though it deserved a repost.

http://m.derryjournal.com/news/politics/elections-2014/major-breakthrough-in-vrt-fight-1-6076615

Interesting.

Administrator

RE: The fight against VRT

If it is finally scrapped, we will start to see some decent spec'd cars being sold from brand new, as they'll have to or everyone will go North or across the water - though that will probably strengthen the UK market!!

The refund would be nice for lots of people - my auld fella will be happy!

BMWHaus Guru

If i lived in say germany and wanted to bring a car in from france is there a vrt charge? Thanks for posting btw

Yes but its a very small fee iirc

BMWHaus Guru

The fight against VRT

There's no chance VRT is going away anytime soon. Any effort to do so would be portrayed as disproportionately benefiting "the rich" as "the average man" now buys a 1.2L tdi bore-box which has a very low tax charge but the rich buy luxury cars which pay 36%

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by JohnH
    There's no chance VRT is going away anytime soon. Any effort to do so would be portrayed as disproportionately benefiting "the rich" as "the average man" now buys a 1.2L tdi bore-box which has a very low tax charge but the rich buy luxury cars which pay 36%
    Sure isn't that what the current government is all about John, look after the Rich and tax the bejesus out of the middle income people.

BMWHaus Guru

The fight against VRT

Quote Originally Posted by John_D
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH
    Sure isn't that what the current government is all about John, look after the Rich and tax the bejesus out of the middle income people.
    I think they're just shafting everyone to be honest

BMWHaus Guru

The fight against VRT

True that...

Honestly, I think it's the top rate of an absolutely ludicrous 2400 euro to tax a car that kills it for a lot of people.

Almost 10 grand to tax a car for 4 years is just breathtakingly outrageous. And it means that said car, is worth very little on the used market, and depreciation is huge.

If it had been left at the recommended top rate of 1200 (from the focus group they made when researching the co2 rates), I think there would be a lot more nice metal on the roads.

Re: The fight against VRT

There fucking idiots shooting themselves in the foot they want to drive all the larger engined cars off the roads and replace them with small diesels , theres one big problem with that though you remove a massive chunk of tax from the overall amount and then what ?? The small diesels start getting screwed next

I never understand how 5 520d's on the road can equal do less damage then my 525i thats rarely ever on the road