Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Supercharging an M52B25

BMWHaus Guru

RE: Supercharging an M52B25

Quote Originally Posted by Peter-E36
    Quote Originally Posted by shaunokeeffe
    possibly because its sacrilage to the purists :-P
    Well... To be honest it's almost impossible to know where to draw the line... it really does get blurred over time! Important thing is to be happy with the car

Quote Originally Posted by Venom
    I'd imagine it's the cost and also the e36 is 20 years old. Be fun though :smiling:
    Well when you think getting a new set of wheels, (or a decent old set and refurbing it) + decent tyres is 1200 - 1500 or so...

Quote Originally Posted by Ketron
    Thanks Narusa, that's great could be a real option in the future so.

I wonder why more people don't do it? One spends thousands on maintenance and mods, why not on a supercharger? Maybe it feels like too much of a commitment?
    I was chatting to Cab about it a while ago, I think my car would be a prime example to do it on to be honest. Very low mileage and I would be completely nuts doing an S50 conversion on it. At 8psi I would be expecting to achieve at least around 300bhp, but the low down torque is where I think I'd get the most use out of it. The AA kit seems the best, the main problem is getting hit with customs importing it from the states as far as I can see, I pay enough in tax, really would prefer not to give them a bundle more.
    Prime candidate indeed, I'd say with an M50 manifold and remap you could probably adjust the power band to your liking (within reason). Yea screw paying extortionate amounts to customs. That kit on e36coupe seems absolutely ideal, if I wasn't going on a 3 week holiday tomorrow I would genuinely snap it up!
    I see you and the car have gotten over the hump then :tounge:
    [hr]

I wonder why more people don't do it? One spends thousands on maintenance and mods, why not on a supercharger? Maybe it feels like too much of a commitment?
    I was chatting to Cab about it a while ago, I think my car would be a prime example to do it on to be honest. Very low mileage and I would be completely nuts doing an S50 conversion on it. At 8psi I would be expecting to achieve at least around 300bhp, but the low down torque is where I think I'd get the most use out of it. The AA kit seems the best, the main problem is getting hit with customs importing it from the states as far as I can see, I pay enough in tax, really would prefer not to give them a bundle more. I think it could be done for well under 5k including install and a live map with 95RON fuel, I wonder how it would affect my premium and who would insure it? I presume I'd have to get an engineers report as well for insurance reasons?
    Ask Cab afaik he has coils and charger down.

BMWHaus Guru

It would indeed be ideal, the only problem with it is thats its an awful lot a cash to fork out not to have a warranty with it.

BMWHaus Guru

AFAIK its because he is with FBD and the were more or less forced to quote due to him being a long time customer. If I remember correctly though it wasnt a massive difference. I know a lot of insurance companies get bees in their bonnets once you go over 300bhp.

BMWHaus Guru

AFAIK its because he is with FBD and the were more or less forced to quote due to him being a long time customer. If I remember correctly though it wasnt a massive difference. I know a lot of insurance companies get bees in their bonnets once you go over 300bhp.
    Not to drag the thread down another avenue but I though insurance companies were obliged to give you a quote especially if you already have the car?

BMWHaus Guru

@ Dave: Yes, I took it for a spin to Glengarrif over the weekend, and on the twisty mountain roads I very quickly forgot about parking dings, lacquer peel, and nosecone... I'll get to them when I get to them.... But for now the car is a real pleasure to drive, just going to enjoy that for a while

Just re: insuring the a car with something like a supercharger, I've always wondered - when you call them to get a quote, would they flag the car on their system in some way or would the next company you call be none the wiser?

BMWHaus Contributor

Have the same idea , and was just messing in the photo seeing where it could possibly be mounted .
    There is room at the front of the engine down low but its nearly level with the sump meaning it needs a scavenger pump on the oil return line, also would need a splash guard in sump to stop oil pushing back up the line. All a major ball ache.

http://www.bmwfanatics.co.za/showthread.php?tid=47231&page=4 my inspiration

BMWHaus Contributor

@ Dave: Yes, I took it for a spin to Glengarrif over the weekend, and on the twisty mountain roads I very quickly forgot about parking dings, lacquer peel, and nosecone... I'll get to them when I get to them.... But for now the car is a real pleasure to drive, just going to enjoy that for a while

Just re: insuring the a car with something like a supercharger, I've always wondered - when you call them to get a quote, would they flag the car on their system in some way or would the next company you call be none the wiser?
    Hey Peter asked the father there (insurance broker) he said even if u insured your car with a supercharger named etc and sold it its up to the new owner to declare all modifications as it won't be flagged .

BMWHaus Guru

Cheers man, handy to know!

Well, choose
    1-vortech v2 supercharger kit installed in your car
    2-M3 Evo good condition
    3-E39 03 530d Msport with 1 year road tax
    4-bla bla bla
    -you know what I trying to tell you
    anyway IF you still interested I have Vortech V2 kit, ask -Site Sponsors- what to do Perfect Car or Motor Confidence