Thread: Spacers Needed Or Not?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Spacers Needed Or Not?

Morning folks, just wondering if anyone on here might be able to help me with a bit of advice or info about changing alloys. I have an E39 and im currently running a standard set of staggered M Sport 17 " alloys on it. I now also have come into possession of a set of staggered 18" M Pars for an E39 and i want to switch the standard set with the M Pars. My query is because the M Pars are a bigger wheel, might i need to use spacers to put them on without having any rubbing or turning issues in the wheel arch or would i need to bother with spacers for a set of 18" wheels? Thanks in advance for your help !

BMWHaus Contributor

RE: Spacers Needed Or Not?

ive 18s on mine and no issues.no spacers.might get spacers to push them closer to the outer edge to look better though

Firstly there made for the e39 from the factory so no aftermarket bits needed they will fit perfect

secondly are they e38 or e39 fitment

E38 have a more aggressive offset and the wheels stick out more because of this were as the e39 set sit slightly behind the arch so a set of small spacers will bring them out a bit and fill the arch nicer

BMWHaus Guru

Make sure they are 100% e39 and not e38 because the CB is different too.

I have e39 Mpars and used 12mm spacer per side on the front and 10mm per side on the rear. You can use a spacer up to 20mm on the front but its way too much

Here is mine with Eibach Sportlines and the spacers and wheels.

Thanks for your help lads, the rims are E39 rims as thats what they came off when i bought them so i shouldnt have any issues. After reading your comments i think i might stick them on both with and without spacers to see how different the car looks and handles under the different settings. Thanks again lads, Much appreciated !

BMWHaus Guru

Spacers Needed Or Not?

Beware that the e39 will tramline with spacers much more than 10mm on the front.

I had 15mm spacers on the front with my style 65's and it was horrible.

I have a set of e60 loner wheels on my car with adapters for the centrebore and they're 20mm and it tramlines. It's not too bad but it's better without them.