Thread: Electric Vader motor burnt- urgent help please

BMWHaus Contributor

Electric Vader motor burnt- urgent help please

OK so i was moving the driver seat back to hoover the car and smoke and burning smell came from under the seat, I seen it also blew the fuse so i replaced it and only the back of the seat moves now so i presume the motor is burnt, that's the first problem now i want to remove the seat to inspect and see if i can find a replacement but the two rear bolts are covered and i cannot move the seat in any way , what can i do? there in no way i can get access to release the bolts ! and i cant drive it as it is because it too far back from the pedals to be even comfortable driving

BMWHaus Guru

Electric Vader motor burnt- urgent help please

Sounds more like the wiring has earthed somewhere and blew the fuse. Motor could be ok. Just run 12v to it and see if it will move

BMWHaus Contributor

RE: Electric Vader motor burnt- urgent help please

See my journal http://www.bmwhaus.ie/forum/showthread.php?tid=945&page=2 . I had a similar problem on the passenger side and made a small write up with pictures. There's a small shaft from the motor to the gearbox you need to turn it a few hundred times. Unbolt your passenger seat so you have an idea of what is what.
    I stripped the motor down and cleaned the carbon brushes as they were glazed. As HealyC says try replacing the fuse first but if you had could smell the motor burning out I wouldnt hold out much hope.
    If you need any more info pm me.

BMWHaus Contributor

I tried calling you a while ago, In the picture attached its the motor with the black arrow that you need to repair/replace

It also might be an idea to make sure it's not the switch that's faulty.
    http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/techarticles/101-Projects-80-Seat-Repair/101-Projects-80-Seat-Repair.htm
    Attached Images Attached Images

BMWHaus Contributor

Just an update on this , a friend of mine unplugged the power from the motor and brought in a separate wire with 12 volts and the motor is actually moving the seat back and forth
    So that's great - but when I put it back to the switch noting happens
    So I presume the switch fried
    Can anyone help me to determine if the vader seat switch is same as other e36
    I night be able to source one on ebay - don't care about the price once I get it sorted at this stage

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

BMWHaus Guru

Did you try the fuse Claudio

BMWHaus Contributor

Yes new fuse and the other buttons work except for back and forwards so it's definitely that switch ' if anyone sees a e36 being broken maybe this part may be available but it's going to be a hard find

BMWHaus Contributor

Re: RE: Electric Vader motor burnt- urgent help please

Quote Originally Posted by claudio
    Yes new fuse and the other buttons work except for back and forwards so it's definitely that switch ' if anyone sees a e36 being broken maybe this part may be available but it's going to be a hard find

It's good to hear you've made some progress.
    The switches are side specific, the driver side one used to be €100 from BMW a few years ago, it'd be worth pricing a new one with Cab as a second hand one will probably cost €50 if you can even find one.